4560 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

identifying volumes in VMware

steveshep
Occasional Contributor

identifying volumes in VMware

Hello.

I've inherited a system running esx4.0. It uses volumes on a P4300. A lot of the volumes are the same size and the naming scheme is different to the one in VMware.

So my question is; given a device name in VMware (naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) how do I find out which volume this is on the P4300? I can't find anyway to easily link the two.

Thanks.
Steve
4 REPLIES 4
oikjn
Honored Contributor

Re: identifying volumes in VMware

I don't know about esx since I"m an M$ shop, but if select a LUN in the CMC you can go to the "iSCSI Sessions" tab and then see what the IDs are for the LUN you have selected.   In addition, the LUN name in CMC is the end of the IQN (at least for microsoft.

Dirk Trilsbeek
Valued Contributor

This gets easier in vSphere 5, in v4 you have to use the devices runtime name, then look at view "Paths" in your storage adapter and you should see the IQNs for the LUNs in each path. The paths also contain the runtime name, so you can link them. In vSphere 5 you can look at the properties of a datastore and click on "manage paths", which opens a window with all the iscsi details to identify a LUN.

steveshep
Occasional Contributor

OK - thanks to both of you for the information.

Steve

RemyZ
Advisor

Very well documented here:

http://virtualkenneth.com/2009/12/03/creating-easy-to-identify-lefthand-volumes-on-esxvsphere/

--------------------------------------
Remy Zandwijk
VU University Amsterdam