108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

p4300

SOLVED
Go to solution
jasp2k
Occasional Advisor

p4300

currently have 4 nodes in a p4300. we just order another 2. Is there a way w. HP to migrate data on the older 4 nodes onto the the two new nodes?

7 REPLIES 7
a_o
Valued Contributor

Re: p4300

If the nodes are in the same class (i.e. all P4300G2), then you can just add these nodes to your cluster and SAN i/Q will 're-balance' your data across all six nodes.

Otherwise, you can create a new cluster and if neccessary, a new management group, and put these two NSMs into them.
Then, you can use the built-in tools to do a remote snapshot of some of your LUNs in the 4 node cluster to the new cluster with 2 NSMs.
The remote snapshot effectively becomes a new LUN on the new cluster that can then be assigned to your servers.

oikjn
Honored Contributor
Solution

"data" is a very imprecise term.  Are you looking to create a new cluster with the new nodes or add them to the existing data storage pool you have?  If you are just looking to add data to your existing pool, all you have to do is add the nodes to the cluster and then the SAN will take care of putting restriping the data to go onto all nodes.  If you want to have its own cluster and just move certain LUNs from your existing cluster to that one, then you can do that by creating the new cluster and then right clicking on the LUN in question and clicking edit and then changing the specified cluster of the LUN.  Either of those options will take up a lot of SAN resources so make sure its done at off-hours or be sure to manage your allocated managment bandwidth.

jasp2k
Occasional Advisor

Thank you both!

oikjn
Honored Contributor

any time. 

The Help menu in CMC is actually helpful!  I know most progams aren't that way, but this one actually is.  Most baic undertandings of the system can be learned through it in case you have a question that you want answered quicker.  It sounds like you might be new to this SAN, in that case, its worth the time to read through the Help in a few random sections just to better understand how everything works.

p4300
Occasional Visitor

If the 4 node have any Lun┬┤s in productions ,  and want to ad otrer two,  what appened with the lun┬┤s stop the productions?

jamespedersen

I just wanted to express how unhappy I am as a P4300 owner.  We have 3 nodes with dual 10G controllers... Our goal was redundancy redundancy redundancy. Recently a nodes controoler locked up. Only way to fix was to reboot with support from HP. Nobody at HP can explain to date what casued the issue and therefore it may happen again. So our $100k investment in sans and switching does not work as advertised. My opinion the PS4300's are crap.

@jasp2k wrote:

currently have 4 nodes in a p4300. we just order another 2. Is there a way w. HP to migrate data on the older 4 nodes onto the the two new nodes?

oikjn
Honored Contributor

one node locked up?  That shouldn't cause a problem for LUN availability if your initiators are setup correctly.  NOTHING physical can be 100% reliable so the SAN was designed with a ton of levels of redundancy which mitigates the risks of a physical problem affecting production availability, but of course that requires that you actually follow the correct planning to provide that redundancy (like it wouldn't matter how correctly you setup the configuration of the hardware SAN if you plugged all physical nodes into the same breaker...  when that breaker trips you would lose your SAN and that certainly isn't the fault of the design of the SAN).

So...  more details please, what actually happened to your SAN, because the way its designed (assuming all luns are at least at NR10 protection), you should be able to take any node at random and throw it in the trash and your production servers would not stop ticking.