New Discussion юеВ

Re: p4500 g2 network config vsphere

SOLVED
Go to solution
gt2777
Advisor

p4500 g2 network config vsphere

hi,

my question is how to configure the ethernet ports of the storage.

we got 2 controllers each 2 ports. want to have them all in a isolated iscsi storage net. i will have a bond over the 2 nics on each controller and then the vip over the two bonds. questions:

how is the storage connected to mailhost, ntp etc.(no routing from isolated iscsi san to normal-net!) is it all via the host(additional nic in iscsi san) with the cmc on it?

how do i configure the network in vcenter? two iscsi-vmkernel ports per ESX, thats clear. but should that vmkernel ips be on different subnets(for hash-algorithms working)? when they are on different subnets i need targets on these subnets. but i only have the one target -> the vip of my p4500 cluster. how is that working???

how can i connect to the ilo? i connect ilo to the normal net(not the iscsi san) how can i see which ip it gets?

thanks!!

6 REPLIES 6
danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

I route the networks on the switchs for mgmt, email , ntp, dns etc.....there is no other way.

Each esx host has two nic's teamed on the vswitch, where I have a vkernel setup with an ip on the same vlan as the san.  This way it does not route to find the san.  Then on the iscsi software adapter you only add the virtual ip and it then see's the san via the vIP, redundancy happens because you are using two pnic's.

You only need one iscsi vmkernel port, but two pnic's.  I don't think there is a way for it to utilize both pnic's on the esx host at the same time.

Just plug in the ilo, go to your dhcp server and look at your leases.  Match up the mac address with the lease in the list.  Then go to the ilo, and set the ip you want it to be.

Dan.

OliverAn
Advisor

For your iSCSI-Traffic:

(MTU 9000 if you use JumboFrames, which you should)

• Create a vSwitch with MTU9000
  • Assign 2 pNICs to that vSwitch
  • Create 2 VMkernel Ports with MTU 9000
  • Override Failover Order for that vmknics, so that each vmknic uses one pNIC and the other is disabled
  • Activate the SW iSCSI Adapter
  • Bind the two vmknics to that vmhbae (esxcli swiscsi nic add --nic vmkernel-name --adapter vmhba-iscsi
  • Discover Volumes via Cluster VIP
  • Set RoundRobin Policy to that Target, it will have two paths
  • get device-names (esxcli
  • Adjust RR-policy (esxcli nmp roundrobin setconfig --type iops --iops=1 >/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.600...>

For your iLO:
Either configure it on boot (F8 when prompted), or install HP CIM providers (you should anyway) an find the IP on the hardware status tab of zthe host in vSphere Client.

danletkeman
Frequent Advisor

Excellent post OliverAn.

Questions...

Bind the two vmknics to that vmhbae (esxcli swiscsi nic add --nic vmkernel-name --adapter vmhba-iscsi

Is this different than adding them in the gui?

Set RoundRobin Policy to that Target, it will have two paths

Is this done when you right click on the device and manage the path?

Get device-names (esxcli

Not sure I understand this?

Adjust RR-policy (esxcli nmp roundrobin setconfig --type iops --iops=1 >/vmfs/devices/disks/naa.600...>

Is this not the same as the third last point?

My other question is what is a better setup for bandwidth usage with a pair of 4500's.  Right now I have both nic's on one of the p4500's going to one switch in LACP mode, and both nic's on the other p4500 going to a different switch in LACP mode.  I'm finding that its always only using one path, and with your suggestions, it may use two of them?  Or should I not configure LACP mode and just assign an ip to each nic on each p4500.

If a switch would go down or need to be restarted I loose my network mirror between the units, but I think I loose my connection to the san as well because its only using one path correct?

Thanks,

Dan.

gt2777
Advisor
Solution

thank you very much!

two vmkernel ports different IPs on the same subnet(like the SAN-net). That was the information I needed!

gt2777
Advisor

have the two storage-net switches to be connected via trunk ports? i read it in the manuel that they have to be connected if i use Adaptive load balancing...

why ?

gt2777
Advisor

any suggestions?