New Discussion юеВ

Re: slowness on a ACCESS DATABASE

TALVASSON
Frequent Advisor

slowness on a ACCESS DATABASE

hey
I had migrate a file server on a VM

The VM is on my SAN

since the migration i have slowness for all the access on my database but not on the other files (as i think)
did you have idea to found the bottleneck
thanks nicolas
5 REPLIES 5
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

Information you provided is not enough to troubleshoot the problem. You need to provide more detail on storage type, workload, other setup information etc.
TALVASSON
Frequent Advisor

hey
here informations, i hope it doesn't miss some usefull
My SAN is a lefthand P4300 buy in sept 2009
It is in a HP BLADE C7000 buy at the same date.

In this BLADE I had a lame BL460C G6 on which i had a VMWARE ESXI V4 who connect to the san by the mezzanine card (ISCI)

I had create a VM W2008R1 server on the ESXI
The VM is store on the SAN
It is a file server

On the SAN i had create a thin volume
I affected this volume to the ESXI
I only use this volume for this VM
On it ,I create 2 disks, one for the system and the other for the datas

I look the WORKLOAD on the ESXI and on the HP LEFTHAND CMC, the isn't any problem

is it enough ?
thanks nicolas
TALVASSON
Frequent Advisor

another point, on the lefthand, can you give me the statistics to add at the performance monitor to help resole my problem ?

thanks
ajamil786
Frequent Advisor

From what I could gather fromm your comments, You have the VM on a volume you created specifically for the windows 2008 VM. Your windows 2008 is a application server that has an access database and access to this database is slow. Everything else is working okay. Correct? If this is the case I would monitor two things. One, monitor the volume on the san using CMC and see if the performance numbers are comparable to the other volumes. I doubt that they would be any different. Look for any signs of network latency issues, since your problem started when you moved the VM to san volume. Second, I would use windows 2008 perfmon to monitor disk utilization with windows. Since it is VM I would increase memory and number of processors to see if they are the bottlenecks. I don't believe this is a san issue.
TALVASSON
Frequent Advisor

thanks, i will test it and give you informations