New Discussion юеВ

to add the ethernet bond for two nic

SOLVED
Go to solution
BIJI JOHN
Advisor

to add the ethernet bond for two nic

hello,
we have left hand P4000, which currently in production with management group and cluster done by using only 1 nic.

is it possible to create nic bond for two nic now without distrubing the current management group and cluster

regards
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: to add the ethernet bond for two nic

According to the install doc, you have to do it before joining a management group... but after you make any changed to the nic setting like port speed, etc.

Stveen
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

I've bonded NIC's after having them in the mgmt group without issue. But the node itself will "blip" while the bond is created. As long as you're fully in sync and have NW Raid 2 or higher, you should be fine. If you don't, I would suggest waiting until a maintenance window.

It's even faster if you are keeping the same IP that was assigned previously.
BIJI JOHN
Advisor

hello,
the raid configuration is raid 5, we have two nodes.

so please can i know the procedure to to add the ethernet bond, since the management group and cluster is add and it's in production.

there is no problem in getting the shutdown time.

regards
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

1. Open CMC
2. Open the Node you want to bond the NIC's on.
3. Select the TCP/IP Network Option
4. On the TCP/IP tab, click the first NIC and then hold control and click the second NIC (so both are selected).
5. At the bottom of the screen, where it says TCP/IP tasks, choose New Bond.
6. Follow the prompts and then move to the next node.

Hope that helps.

BIJI JOHN
Advisor

thanks for the update.
1) Actually do first do we need to add ip address to both the nic1 and nic2, then do the nic bond or first we do the nic bond and then add the ip address to bond

2) Actually has informed you now left hand in production with one nic card enabled, if i create the nic bond, will my current management groupa nd cluster will be affected.

thank you
Bryan McMullan
Trusted Contributor

1.) You should just have an IP assigned to NIC1, when you create the bond, it typically will use the IP assigned already (the one assigned to NIC1) for the bond.

2.) I've never had any change to my mgmt group when bonding as long as the bond was assigned the same IP as the node had previously (though I have 16 nodes in one of the clusters with NW Raid 2, so YMMV). Keep in mind that you may have a short production outage if you are bonding the NICs of the node that holds the VIP at that time.

If there is any question, I would suggest doing it during a maintenance window.