5109 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a new network into an uplink set

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Adding a new network into an uplink set

Hi

I recently posted a question on the risk in updating a Logical Interconnect from a LIG using the 'update from group' option when adding new uplink sets.

Solved: Updating Logical Interconnects - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community (hpe.com)

Does the same risk apply to when adding a new network to an existing network set to allow for a new VLAN to be pushed through to the hosts? The precedure still requires the network to be added to the uplink set and hence still requires the LIG to be edited and then the LI to be updated from the LIG.

Or is this different as it only effectively adding a VLAN

many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

With newer versions of OneView, you can add a network set to an Uplink Set. Then when you add a new network to a network set, it is provisioned to associated server profiles and Uplink sets. The only risk is when the upstream switch doesn't have that VLAN provisioned, no traffic will egress that switch.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Thanks Chris and that is actually a great feature that removes a couple of steps from the old approach and along with that, I guess, the chance of human error when completing those steps.

However, is it just automating those steps or actually removing them as the old apporach required an 'update from group' step?  Looking at OneView during the process of adding a new network to a network set I can still see the same same activities on the logical Interconnects that I would expect to see when I select the 'Update from Group' action on the LI which makes me think it's still running the same proecesses under the covers but just automating a couple of steps that the administrator would have otherwise completed.

Therefore when @tech3d  suggests that running an 'update form group' is recommended to be done in a maintenance windoew, is OneView doing anything differently here (under the covers) that means that this is lower risk than adding a new uplink set?

"Also, if the 'update from group' function fails for any reason, the existing uplink sets might lose connectivity. Hence for a production setup its recommended to plan a maintenance window and perform the edit, so that if in any case ther's an outage it doesn't come as a surprise to the users."

tech3d
HPE Pro

Hi  jlangmead,

Good Day.

The concept used to edit/add networks on onder OneView versions (prior to 5.0) was different, Here you do not have the option to add a network set to the uplink sets. Hence networks need to be added/edited individually. The process  to accomplish edits is to make the edits within the LIG & then perform an 'update from group' activity on the associated LI(s). This basically puts the new configuration to the VC modules and hence the network outage.

Starting OneView 5.0, we have introduced the option to add network sets to uplink sets. Herein, if you add or remove any network from within the network set, it auto populates the same on the uplink set without the need of any additional activity.  Basically no settings are changed on the VC except the fact that a VLAN or VLAN(s) are either added or removed from later2 ! This is as simple as configuring a L2 switch live, without touching the active networks ! Hence no downtime is needed.

Hope that clarifies your doubts.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

jlangmead
Regular Advisor

Hi

Many thanks - yes I'm clear now.

So running the LI 'update from template' will overwite the entire VC config (inlcuding the configurations of any existing uplink sets) with the edited LIG and therefore carries the risk of this configuration overwrite failing to complete successfully which could leave existing uplinks in a failed state. The same would also apply when  adding networks to network sets prior to OV 5.0 as this needed the administrator to manually edit the LIG and the run the LI 'update from template' procedure (causing the entire VC config to be overwiritten with the new version).

However, since OV 5.0 networks can be added (injected) into network sets without the need to re-apply the LIG config - and hence it's not as risky and can be done 'on the fly'.  Correct?? 

ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

Yes, you are right.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo