HPE Synergy

Re: HPE Oneview and LUN exports not in Server Profile

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gribben
Occasional Advisor

HPE Oneview and LUN exports not in Server Profile

Hi

I am currently transitioning to HPE Synergy with SAN volumes in Server Profiles on the compute modules.

Server01, server02, server03 are in a Host Set on the 3PAR so they can access som old datastores. 

These old datastores are not in the Server Profile but i want to add them.

If i do Reapply only on Server Profile for server01 . I don't want server02, server03 also loose access to these manually exported Volumes.

Does OneView remove Server01 from Host Set or does it remove all of them if i do Server Profile for server01?

Just want to know how OneView handles this. 

regards

4 REPLIES 4
tech3d
HPE Pro

Hi @Gribben , OneView has the option of managing volume centrally by adding the 3PAR CPG as managed.
Once done, all the volumes created under the CPG will list in OneView as managed volumes.
Having done that, you will be able to associate one or more of these managed volumes to any server profile.
Unless a host is deleted from the host set in 3PAR, everything remains the same.
Also, reapplying the profile of one server does not impact any other servers within the setup.

Note: Do not create a new server profile as that will change the WWPNs.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Gribben
Occasional Advisor

How will OneView handle a scenario like this:

server01, server02  with unmanaged volumes vol1, vol2. The hosts are in a hostset(hostset01) and volumes in a volumeset (volset01). LUNs exported with VLUN Templates: set:volset01 set:hostset01

server01, server02 have server profiles with other managed volumes already. i.e vol3, vol4

If the volumes vol1, vol2 and its CPG are added in OneView as managed and then add them to server profile server01.

If this profile is applied for server01, would server02 be affected or will it still have access to vol1 and vol2?

Put in another way.

Will OneVIew remove server01 from hostset and volumes vol1, vol2 from volset01 and thus server02 loose access to the volumes?

tech3d
HPE Pro

Hi @Gribben, To understand the behaviour in a real time scenario, we will need to replicate the same changes on a setup having the same configuration, at out lab.
Kindly log a support ticket using the Synergy equipment's serial number, and our technical team will provide further assistance.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Gribben
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Based on the scenario:

server01, server02  with unmanaged volumes vol1, vol2. The hosts are in a hostset(hostset01) and volumes in a

volumeset (volset01). LUNs exported with VLUN Template: set:volset01 set:hostset01

server01, server02 have server profiles with other managed volumes already. i.e vol3, vol4

Instead of adding vol1 and vol2 as managed. I created new managed volumes vol5, vol6 and added them to the server profile template for server01 and server02.

running Update from Template.

Oneview did the following.

Created VLUN Template for vol5 and vol6

140 vol5 server01  ---------------- 0:2:3 matched set

140 vol5 server01  ---------------- 1:2:3 matched set

140 vol6 server01  ---------------- 0:2:3 matched set

140 vol6 server01  ---------------- 1:2:3 matched set

etc....

Did not remove the VLUN Template: set:volset01 set:hostset01

Did not change volumes in volset01 or remove server01 or server02 from hostset which i was worried about and create outage.

After that i can just Storage vmotion VMs away from vol1 and vol2.