1748117 Members
3714 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPOV Enclosure -description property

CSKA
Advisor

HPOV Enclosure -description property

Recently IтАЩve installed a few Synergy 12000 frames and notice that there is a property field description when IтАЩve list enclosures with get-hpovenclosure. The property is empty on each enclosure and IтАЩm looking for method how to populate it.

IтАЩve checked set-hpov (enclosure,logicalenclosure,enclosuregroup) but not able to found how to update this field. It seems that Labels also do not work, as enclosure property, they are only some kind of tag.
So my question is it possible to update the description property or some way to specify some asset tags on enclosures, like the assettag property on C7000?      

8 REPLIES 8
manaswini-s
HPE Pro

Hi CSKA,

Thank you for posting your query. As I see, you are looking for тАЬHPOV Enclosure -description propertyтАЭ.

Our engineers are looking into this and we will reply to you shortly.

Kindly await with us.

Best Regards,

Manaswini S

I am an HPE Employee

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Chander_S
HPE Pro

Hi CSKA, 

Good day!!

Thank you for posting your query.

May i know What is the  HPE OneView version which you are using in your environment  and whether or not you are using supported HPE OneView PowerShell libraries.

You need to use the HPE Oneview Powershell library for specific version which you using . I am pasting the links for your reference  where you will see all requirements.

https://github.com/HewlettPackard/POSH-HPOneView/wiki

https://hpe-docs.gitbook.io/posh-hpeoneview/about/about_hponeview.500

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

CSKA
Advisor

Hello,

I'm using the latest OneView   / PowerShell modules:
ApplianceVersion: 5.20.01.420365.00
5.20.2422.3962 C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\HPOneView.520

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Even though the API exposes a property like Description, that does not mean you in turn could make use of it.  For instance, the Description property of an enclosure is not visible within the UI, nor is it searchable.  

What are you trying to do with the description property?  If you really want to use the description property, you would do this in PowerShell:

# Get your enclosure
$MyEnclosure = Get-HPOVEnclosure -Name Encl-1

# Update the description property
$MyEnclosure.description = "This is my description"

# Save it to the appliance
Set-HPOVResource -InputObject $MyEnclosure

In the future, for PowerShell or other OneView SDK related questions, I would suggest you go to the projects issue tracker and start a conversation there.  For instance, the HPE OneView PowerShell library issue tracker is here.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

CSKA
Advisor

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your time and support!
To be honest I've didn't guess to try this simple PS operation. I've bookmarked the GitHub tracker and will use it in the future.
Regarding the property you are absolutelly right, it is not discoverable in UI, neither searchable, but in our environment we have more than 100 C7000 enclosures, which need to be replaced with Synergy upcomming years and we want to keep some asset information, which is currently populated in asset tag property of OAs.

Should I open a feature request in GitHub for asset property, or there is already an idea for that feature?

Thanks again.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

So what you are asking for can be accomlished with either Labels or Scopes.  Labels are a bit easier to create, as they do not have a huge security requirement to create one or more.  But they are more ephemeral than Scopes.  Meaning, once the last resource is removed from a Label, the Label is then deleted.  Scopes can be created, but require the Infrastructure Administrator or Scope Administrator role.

As for requesting a feature enhancement to the PowerShell library, yes, you can post one on the issues tracker.  However, for this specific case I wouldn't be able to supply you with an enhancement as that would require enhancements to OneView.  Do you plan on manually adding the Asset Tag data to the OA, as a way to record what you have moved to a new platform?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

CSKA
Advisor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your notes. I will take a look into labels also.

The business case is that we put some tags on the asset tag field of OA and after that generate some reports of usage. The tags helps excel guys to filter and group enclosures based on these details. Example of tags are enclosures dedicated for Linux, or for VMware. This is also useful for provisioning guys. When they receive new build request, they are able to filter the list of enclosures based on their purpose and to found free suitable blades for their new build.

Meanwhile I've tested the solution above, but found the following issue:

Set-HPOVResource : The requested resource could not be found. Confirm resource ID/URI and try th...

I've verified that I have active connection to my OneView and reported enclosure URI is valid. I'm able to modify the varable which is stored on my PS session memory, but not able to push it to OneView.

Best regards,

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

That is strange, as the Cmdlet will take the InputObject and use its URI property to then update.  Do you have multiple appliance connections established within your PowerShell console?  That could be the case where the object you are trying to modify originates from the non-default connection.  You can view this within the protected $ConnectedSessions global variable.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo