108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Synergy frames (VC SE 40Gb F8 modules) with Cisco QSFP+ Direct Attach Cables

SOLVED
Go to solution
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Synergy frames (VC SE 40Gb F8 modules) with Cisco QSFP+ Direct Attach Cables

I'm looking for an alternative to using the HPE BLc QSFP+ Adapter “frame side” with the MPO (Multi Fiber Push On) cables and (4) 10GbE SFP+ adapters on our Cisco Nexus 5672UP-16G TOR switches for network uplinks.

My goal is to utilize the (6) QSFP+ ports on Nexus switches to support the 40GbE network uplinks from the Synergy frames (VC SE 40Gb F8 modules).

I've used Cisco SFP+ DACs to connect our G2/G3 blade enclosures (VC FF-20/40 F8 modules) to the Nexus switches and that works fine, though I haven't tried the Cisco QSFP+ DACs and know that c7000 are Synergy aren't the same animal.

Has anyone out there used QSFP+ active/passive copper or active optical DACs to support 40GbE uplinks between the Nexus 5672 and VC SE 40Gb F8 modules in a Synergy frame?  Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Synergy frames (VC SE 40Gb F8 modules) with Cisco QSFP+ Direct Attach Cables

I heard back from a great Synergy engineer at HPE and he provided a technical whitepaper (HPE Synergy Cables and Connectors Selection Guide by Bart Op de Beeck) that answered all my questions.  Short answer was that certain Cisco DACs are "allowed" for Synergy connectivity.

I'll post the results of our efforts as soon as I get the Cisco AOC DACs in and swap out the existing QSFP+ adapter/MPO cable/(4) SFP+ adapters to provide 40GbE network uplinks to Synergy.