IMC

APC UPSs in IMC

Johnny_K
Occasional Collector

APC UPSs in IMC

I am looking to pull our APC UPSs into IMC.  I can get them in just fine as an SNMP device.  However IMC doesn't recognize the status of the UPS.   For example I have multiple UPSs that are in alarm but when I add them to IMC it thinks all is well.

I have done this in the past with Solar Winds and when there were OIDs that I wanted to hit I had to create custom pollers.  Is that what I have to do in IMC too?

Thank you,

John

1 REPLY 1
jguse
HPE Pro

Re: APC UPSs in IMC

Hello,

You could poll any SNMP OID(s) from iMC using the Custom Index feature (Performance Management > Global Index Settings > Add Custom Index). However that will poll the status of an OID once every X seconds, while it sounds more like you'd like to get an alarm in iMC immediately when the UPS is in such a state.

For that I would suggest setting up a custom Trap Definition and Trap to Alarm rule to automatically generate alarms when the UPS enter an alarm state and send an SNMP Trap to iMC. That could be done with a few steps:

1. Make sure the APC UPS are configured to send SNMP Traps to iMC

2. Download the APC UPS SNMP Trap MIBs online and make sure the mib files are with extension .mib (rename the files with the proper extension otherwise), and put them into a .zip archive.

3. Go to Alarm > Trap Management > Trap Definition and 'Import trap definition from MIB file', then upload the .zip archive with Trap MIBs you have downloaded (select Yes to System MIB library).

4. Once compilation is successful, you should be able to see the list of compiled MIBs appear. Select them and View Trap Definition, then Import them.

5. On the Summary page, define custom settings for each trap as needed - particularly the Severity of the traps is important, as this determines the level of alarm that is generated (Minor/Major etc.)

6. Select all the traps that should be alarmed, and click 'Escalate to alarms' to set up a new Trap to Alarm rule with the selected traps. Just give the rule a name and save it (the traps should have already been entered for you if you selected them previously)

iMC should now be able to recognize traps from the devices and generate alarms for them.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo