5372 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Active directory and HP IMC../

MohammadH
Regular Advisor

Active directory and HP IMC../

Hello

i want ask is there a way to know where the user from Active directory connect in the switch using HP IMC  ?

4 REPLIES 4
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Yes - there is a way, but it requires some deployment beyond basic IMC.

The setup I'm using has the UAM - User Access Module - installed to track users authenticating to the network switches.

In order to associate with Active Directory, the workstation and the switch must be configured to use 802.1x authentication.

On the workstation, this is enabled at the ethernet adapter.

On the switch, this is part of the access control commands, and varies by brand. IMC allows basic configuration to all the HP types, but you may need to customize the setup with CLI as well.

Once configured, the user connects to the port, the switch sends authentication request to IMC via RADIUS.

IMC sends the credentials back to AD via LDAP for authentication, sends response back to switch to enable port, then tracks the user's session.

You can then query by user and get the user's IP, the switch IP, and the switch port.

This is the overview. Setup is somewhat complex. The documentation does explain it, and people have posted some explanations on the details. Search the posts.

I recommend setting up a small test lab to prove it out. Also note UAM is a separate licensed IMC module, and is sold by number of users.

MohammadH
Regular Advisor

thank you NeilR  for respone

i will try it and see what happen if you have pdf file how to configure it will very useful.

thank you again.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Here are some PDF's I previously posted covering some of the more specific setups in IMC.

Not covered is switch configuration. 

These were done for previous versions but should mostly still apply.

You should also review the documentation as these PDFs are meant to clarify the parts that are not so obvious - they are not a complete step by step guide.

Good luck and I'll try and address your specific questions. Other posts on this forum cover this as well.

MohammadH
Regular Advisor

thank you NeilR

i will try it and see if work with me.

thank you again