5733 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Backing up Aruba Controllers/MAS Switches with SSH

HPUser789
Occasional Contributor

Backing up Aruba Controllers/MAS Switches with SSH

Hi:

I'm trying to backup Aruba MAS switches and controllers. It works fine with telnet, but won't if I select SSH as the access method for the device.

Is there a fix for this? 

According to this link:

https://packetpushers.net/hp-imc-backup-cisco-asas-via-ssh/

this issue has been around for over 4 years. Have these scripts been fixed yet?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I wrote that blog post. It referred to a specific problem with Cisco ASA, which has been resolved. Aruba backups will use their own device adapter. It could be a similar problem, it could be something different.

What do your logs tell you?

HPUser789
Occasional Contributor

Well, first of all, thank for digging into this problem and creating that post! Kudos to you! It gave me the confidence to start digging into the logs.

I had also been thrown off by the term Adapters. I didn’t realize that they were represented by text files for each manufacturer/device. That helps, Thanks.

After trying the Aruba backup, looking in the imccfgbakdm file, I see the message that the key is not cached. And I look in the registry, and the key is not there in the location you specify. (other Cisco device’s keys are in the registry, so I know that the overall process is working.)

Looking at the Cisco ASA adapter file, I see how, a check in the while loop has been made for that message.  But in the Aruba800 adapter file, no such check exists. Therefore it would appear that they key is not getting cached, and the backup fails.

I’ve only got so much time per day to be digging into these logs, so I was hoping that someone else had figured this one out…

Thanks!

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

So it looks like you've now got enough information to make the required fix.

You can, and should, log a support case so that HPE fixes this in future versions. This will ensure that your changes don't get over-written by future updates. But at least you can easily get it working now.