1745882 Members
4297 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

Backup storage growth with MC PLAT 7.3 E0705P07 and later

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Backup storage growth with MC PLAT 7.3 E0705P07 and later

I recently discovered our backups using Intelligent Management Deployment tool were consuming lots of disk space, doubling in size monthly. Poking through the files traced this to the ICC backup. This backup includes the configuration backups from the various devices on the network. 

We have cfg backups going back years, and when backups grew to 20 and then 40GB it was hard to miss.

The backup process seems to have changed around E705p07 as best I can tell from dates. At that point the system began creating Monthly consolidations of the backups into sub directories, and also created a zip file of that sub.

The directory used for config storage is \Program Files\iMC\server\data\cfgbak\

The storage growth is due to the fact that the process copies all the previous months and the zips (which do not actually save much space) into the current monthly, so each new monthly essentially doubles the previous month's. 

We copy these using IDMA over to the standby and keep a number of days so the impact there was even greater.

I've reviewed this with HPE and the issue is noted, but too late for the next patch so if this is affecting you , it may be a while longer. The workaround I've put in place is a scheduled task that recursively deletes just the .zip files starting in cfgbak. The monthly folders still are an issue but deleting the zips is an easy first step.

1 REPLY 1
Milenkova
HPE Pro

Re: Backup storage growth with MC PLAT 7.3 E0705P07 and later

Hello,

With P10 I see  the following option, which can be usefull for you:

In Web Giui: Service-Configuration center-Options- Tab Backup policy  choose the option Max backup configuration history days.

Backup Configuration History Days field specifies the maximum number of days that the system retains the backup history records in the database before deleting them.

Deleting the backup history records does not delete the backup files, only if they are displayed by IMC

Hope this will help you further.

Regards,

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo