1752295 Members
4867 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Best way to see broadcast AND multicast traffic utilization on 3800 switch

jacob600
Occasional Contributor

Best way to see broadcast AND multicast traffic utilization on 3800 switch

What's the best way to see broadcast AND multicast traffic utilization on 3800 switch?  Real-time and historical?

I would like to see  a report or graph that let's me know the numbers and %.  Using the percent would be best so I can have an easy way to see if multi or broad is X % of traffic.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

What monitoring tool are you using? Most of them should be able to create little pie charts showing utilisation by protocol for you.

One way I can quickly get an idea about how "noisy" a network is is to look at utilisation over time on a live switchport whose device isn't doing anything and see what the minimum Tx utilisation is. Eg, on a 2,000-device network that was all in one broadcast domain, I could see by looking at Tx stats on a "quiet" port that utilisation never went below 5Mbps, indicating that broadcast and multicast was running at about that (but peaking higher).

marco_octavian
Occasional Visitor

Best Option in my opinion

Short and Long term reporting using a Performance View (Resource -> Performance Management -> Performance View).

I would suggest adding the Performance View as a widget on the Home page and adding the Perfomance View you just created and also use thresholds.

Other options:

• Switch Gui - short tem
  • cli - show int (more goodies here but not what you asked for..:)
  • IMC Report - Single Interface Traffic Summary Report - short and long
  • IMC widget - Port Group TopN  -  transmitting and receiving broadcasts 
  • I'll create a blog post in the next few weeks since this question comes up quite often with my customers

HTH,

Marco Octavian