1748063 Members
5827 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Configuring Trap Destination on Extreme Networks Switching (EXOS)

warkscol-infra
Established Member

Configuring Trap Destination on Extreme Networks Switching (EXOS)

Currently in the process of adding a few Extreme devices into IMC. These devices were acquired as part of a merger to provide some background for this post. Unfortunately I'm having some issues getting the SNMP traps to register. I was wondering does anyone have any experience adding Extreme Switches into IMC? 

Also, it seems that the auto-backup feature doesn't work most likely for a similar reason, protocol mismatch etc. Any help would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

What's the problem with SNMP traps? Configuring the switches, or importing the traps into IMC? What problems are you having? What error messages do you get?

And for the backups, what are the error messages you're seeing? What does the imccfgbackdm logfile tell you?

warkscol-infra
Established Member

Currently I'm seeing the following error within IMC. 

Although I believe the information is configured correctly on the switch (not overly familair with Extreme OS so still working through some of it's nuances). Switches have added to IMC fine but I'm concerned that they are not collecting data. 

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Ignore that specific tab. It's for configuring SNMP traps from IMC, using SNMP. Only seems to work for some HP devices. You don't need it. Have you configured snmp trap destinations on the device itself?

What about the rest of IMC monitoring - does it correctly discover the device, and report CPU usage, etc?

warkscol-infra
Established Member

It would appear so, as it is feeding back information regarding device unreachability etc. although not displaying CPU/memory usage. Should I need to configure these monitors manually? 

See below the SNMP configuration on the Extreme device.

configure snmpv3 add community "*****" name "******" user "v1v2c_ro"
configure snmpv3 add community "******" name "******" user "v1v2c_rw"
configure snmpv3 add target-addr "traphost.public.212.219.42.17" param "traphost.public.212.219.42.17" ipaddress 212.219.42.17 transport-port 162 tag-list "TrapHost"
configure snmpv3 add target-params "traphost.public.212.219.42.17" user "public" mp-model snmpv2c sec-model snmpv2c sec-level authnopriv

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

"Device unreachability" only relies on ICMP. Does the device show up in IMC as an Extreme device? Does it show you the sysObjectID, etc?

warkscol-infra
Established Member

It shows up as 'Extreme Switches Generic' rather than the specific device model and appears to have caputed the sysOID, and has populated the device description correctly along with the firmware. 

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

That's a good start. SNMP polling is definitely working. 

IMC has a database of vendors and models. It can tell that the sysOID is one used by Extreme, but it doesn't know the specific model. You can easily change that in the IMC Device definition settings. 

warkscol-infra
Established Member

How would one go about doing that? It also doesn't explain why the auto-backup feature doesn't work correctly. 

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@warkscol-infra wrote:

How would one go about doing that? 

Check the manual for the section on "Configuring vendor and device information"

@warkscol-infra wrote:

It also doesn't explain why the auto-backup feature doesn't work correctly. 

No-one suggested it would resolve the backup problem. The displayed device model information is mainly just for display. I asked earlier about what errors you're getting during backups, and what does imccfgbakdm log file tell you? This post is older and somewhat lengthy, but it works through the steps required to resolve a problem with a backup adapter http://packetpushers.net/hp-imc-backup-cisco-asas-via-ssh/

If IMC has an Extreme adapter, but no specific mapping for your device model, then you may need to follow a similar process as outlined here https://lkhill.com/help-imc-doesnt-support-my-new-cisco-switch/