1748180 Members
4125 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Connection Port settings for windows server

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Connection Port settings for windows server

Recently after upgrading we had an issue where the connection to the DBs for the various IMC apps would fail and they would go off line. The MySQL db was installed on the same server. Reboot fixed the problem.

Biggest issue was that UAM would stop authenticating.

After the 2nd occurrence I logged a case. The recommendation was to increase the number of ports from the default 5000 as covered in this KB (so far has not re-occured)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/196271/when-you-try-to-connect-from-tcp-ports-greater-than-5000-you-receive-t

Basically this is to add a registry entry DWORD. Reboot after setting.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\MaxUserPort

Also this one may help or not - still testing - changing the timeout from 120 seconds to something shorter - 60 in my case - to free up ports faster.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpTimedWaitDelay

Initially i set it to 10000 but the recent post about reports prompted me to check and I did sometimes get this error indicating still short on ports, so I upped to 20000

report-sockets.png

3 REPLIES 3
Nitish_N
HPE Pro

Hi,

Regarding the issue i will suggest to open a support case as it needs to be analyzed with logs and also as mentioned did the timeout make any difference to the issue.

-N

Accept or Kudo
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

This port change was the recommendation of the support team for the DB disconnect issue, so I published it here for information, as I had noticed the related report issue - screen shot above.

In an article regarding that setting I also saw the timeout setting so I figured that may help, as the defaul 120 seconds seemed to long. So at this point just a "might help" guess on my part.

So far the databased disconnect and the report  port problem has not happened again. The DB disconnect was not a frequent issue, so still too soon to say for sure.

I still have a report issue where the page initially gives a 404 error, but the reload will cause the report page to immediately appear. See screenshot below. My initial timeout was 30 seconds. I thought maybe this was a result, so I set to 60. No change. The 404 error occurs after about 5-10 seconds, so not really related.

I have not yet logged this case as the incovneince is still minimal, 

report screen.png

Nitish_N
HPE Pro

Hi Neil,

Thanks for publishing the information. Please do log support case if the page timeout causes more issue.

-N

Accept or Kudo