cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy Device Software - Failed - SSH or SFTP CLI error

weird_harold
Occasional Contributor

Deploy Device Software - Failed - SSH or SFTP CLI error

I am fairly new to IMC and I am unable to update my switch's (2910al-24G POE) software via IMC.

Below are the details of the failed task.

Upload software to device from iMC Server by script.

SSH or SFTP CLI error.

Check the following: 

1. The SSH and SFTP configuration is correct. 
2. The CLI format in file /iMC/server/conf/ssh_sftp_client.cfg is correct. 
3. The SSH and FTP client names are the same as those in file ssh_sftp_client.cfg 

I do not believe it is an SSH issue as I am able to import software from the same switch into my Software Library.

Below are the details of my ssh_sftp_client.cfg

#windows putty

ssh-cmd = plink.exe [-i $key-file] $user-name@$device-ip
sftp-cmd = psftp.exe [-i $key-file] $user-name@$device-ip

Both executables are located in my iMC\server\bin directory.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

7 REPLIES 7
weird_harold
Occasional Contributor

Re: Deploy Device Software - Failed - SSH or SFTP CLI error

So it looks like it was a user error. I had a typo in the SFTP CLient setting located under System Settings.

I am now able to deploy the software to the switch but it fails to reboot and actually update it as the startup software.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Why did you change the SFTP client setting?
weird_harold
Occasional Contributor

I don't recall why, it's been a while since we installed IMC and now. I think because we initially had the Putty files located in a seperate directory and not the iMC\server\bin directory.

Any thoughts on why the switch fails to reboot during the softwre upgrade? I see another user has the same issue.

Also - when I am attempting to test a "Restore Device Software" from IMC,  I get a message "Device "IP address" operation timed out" even though I am sitting here pinging that device the entire time.

IMC appears to have tons of bugs compared to PCM, and not a lot of answers.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@weird_harold wrote:

I don't recall why, it's been a while since we installed IMC and now. I think because we initially had the Putty files located in a seperate directory and not the iMC\server\bin directory.

Any thoughts on why the switch fails to reboot during the softwre upgrade? I see another user has the same issue.

Also - when I am attempting to test a "Restore Device Software" from IMC,  I get a message "Device "IP address" operation timed out" even though I am sitting here pinging that device the entire time.

IMC appears to have tons of bugs compared to PCM, and not a lot of answers.

Couple of things:

* It doesn't matter where you install PuTTy - iMC ships with its own binaries. You should only change the sftp client config if you have a very specific reason for using something else.

* Pinging the device is irrelevant - it's the operation that's timing out (i.e. it does something, and doesn't get an acceptable response in the right timeframe) - this usually isn't related to device reachability.

* PCM is a very, very limited product, with a narrow set of features aimed at a small range of devices. It's not surprising that iMC has more issues - it's trying to do far more, with a far wider range to managed devices.

Try looking in the logs in <IMC>/server/conf/log to see what's going on.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

IMC v7 has just been released. One of the fixes mentioned in the release notes is this: "Supports upgrading software through SCP for ProCurve devices."

This may help your problem.