5660 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Deploying configuration template with IMC

pattap
Regular Advisor

Deploying configuration template with IMC

Hi All

I have over thounds of switches managed by IMC. I want to deply a template - type segemt.

If I use lets say:

int range e1/0/1 e1/0/48

and then the config I want to use on those port 

What would happen to those switches with only 24 ports, would the config still be pushed to those? 

4 REPLIES 4
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

It will fail, in the same way it would fail if you typed that command in at the CLI. 

However, there might be a workaround. When you define a Config Template, you can say which device models it applies to. So you could have one set of templates for your 24-port devices, and another set for your 48-port devices.

pattap
Regular Advisor

that sounds like a solution, I will have a look around once I'm back to work.

I have also wondered if it's safe to push it to all the switches at once, there would be let's say 700-800 of A3100 switcehs,

I now you can schedule it for any time - out of hours would be reasobale, but I'm still not sure how would that impact the network and if IMC is that realiable.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Depends on the type of change you're pushing, and how lucky you feel :)

I'm inclined to group changes - start with a couple of devices, then 10, then 50, then 100, etc. 

From memory, I think you can get IMC to do sequential or batched deployments. So it's not going to result in large network load, and can terminate early if there's problems.

pattap
Regular Advisor

I will probably try it as you say, 10, 15 ,...100 and so on devices. 

I just need to do some testing in lab enviroment and will be pushing the changes once it's successful 

Thanks for your input :)