cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop topology map

rizopus
Visitor

Desktop topology map

How i can make in IMC topology map with desktops with dynamic IP addreses?

3 REPLIES
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Re: Desktop topology map

What would doubt exactly?

To my knowledge the topology is "created" alone with the information it receives from the switch...

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
rizopus
Visitor

I can put on topology map items from added devices but i dont know how to add  to imc devices with dynamic ip addreses, also i have a desktop assets from EAD module, but i cant put them on topology map.

NeilR
Respected Contributor

IMC will manage device minimally based on using ICMP to see if they are alive and using the arp tables to locate switch port. Name comes from dns.

You add the device by IP regardless of how its assigned and it will track it. Also you can add by dns name and IMC will lookup IP address. So you can add them and they will persist as managed device even with DHCP assigned addresses. IMC even knows they are desktops. You can add snmp and get some additional info.

Then you can add to topology etc.

As you have figured out the problem comes when the address changes - if workstation A grabs a different address then now workstation A is shown as down - Red  -  and you get errors becuase IMC is not smart enough to handle that yet.

If Workstation B grabs A's address then IMC will think A is back up and the topology will change as B is connected to a different switch.

So one way to deal is to increase the length of the address lease in dhcp. The shorter the lease the more volatile. The DHCP client starts renegotiating the lease half way through the lease time period. So the system tries to keep the same address and mostly will succeed.

Note that managing a desktop will count under the IMC node licensing count as well, so may not be worth it.

Another more complex approach is to have the users and/or workstations authenticate with 802.1x or just workstations using MAC authentication. 

This requires further setup in IMC and your network switches. but it does track the location of users and workstations. There is a topology map that will show clients. And while it won't increase your managed node count, you will need the UAM module and licenses for those users. 

But tracking this way adds more useful information and ways to manage access then just managing as a node.

Depends really on why you need the desktops to show up on topology map and what other management requirements  you might have