1748118 Members
3668 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Device Poll Synchronisation

qos
Advisor

Device Poll Synchronisation

Is it possible to synchronise all devices so that device polls always occur at the same times throughout the day for all devices?

3 REPLIES 3
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

That's not a scalable design. Why would you want to do that?
qos
Advisor

I'm extracting data from IMC using a SQL query to use as input to IPAM.

I'd like to run a schedule so that this SQL query is run say once per day and output to a csv, which is then imported to IPAM.

Problem is that switches are polled every 2 hours and at different times meaning that the SQL query misses some data (say for example printer turned off momentarily or moved), meaning IPAM data is not up to date.

I'd like to then remove data from IPAM if it has not been imported from IPAM within say 7 days, meaning device has been down for 7 days so therefore has been removed and IP address can be recycled.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Synchronised polling won't help with the situation where a device is momentarily offline.

What you could try doing is increase the frequency of that polling (there's two different polling intervals in IMC - one for status polling, and another for full device sync). If you're worried about devices being offline, you could then run more frequent polling, and extract data from the DB more frequently.