5898 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 5900V - anyone using it?

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

HP 5900V - anyone using it?

Hello,

I am in need of an new physical separated small cluster/rack providing vserver for internal departments. Let´s do it with HP hard and software

• some HP Proliant DL380 Gen 8
  • Vmware Vsphere 5.5
  • HP´s 3Par based F200

But what about networking?

- Also it seems I need at least IMC 7.0 standard for using it?

- So, thanks to VEPA I push (all?) traffic of Vmware guests to the TOR switch where I control (and monitor) the whole traffic?

- So, HP`s 5900V includes real firewall capabilities for controlling the traffic from/to/in between all guests on the TOR switches?

- So, I do not need any additional firewall in front of that cluster at all?

• What else do I need to get everything running? According to the "Fundamentals Configuration Guide" I need licenses? "License-based features, such as EVB, FCoE, SPBM, and Trill, require a license to run on your device. To use a license-based feature, you must purchase a license".

- I cannot find any?

- Can anyone please provide HP part numbers?

- Is this included within "HP Virtual Switch 5900v VMware E-LTU" (JG814A) or HP VSO SW for 5900v VMware E-LTU (JG815A)?

2 REPLIES 2
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

The 5900v is not officially published yet and is in beta right now. But will be released soon.

The 5900v is part of a solution which requires the following components:

1: VEPA capable switch like HP 5900 series, HP 11900, 6125XLG for C-class blade enclosure.  no further licencing needed

2: HP IMC VAN Connection Mgr SW Mod w/E-LTU (JG494AAE)

3: HP Virtual Switch 5900v VMware E-LTU (JG814AAE) per host

4: HP VSO SW for 5900v VMware E-LTU (JG815AAE)

5: VMware ESXi/vCenter 5.0/5.1 Enterprise Plus (not sure for 5.5)

You are right that you push the traffic to the upper layer physical switch where you control the traffic (ACLs, Qos, Vlan and Bandwidth)

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

* like Sietze mentioned, having the vSphere Enterprise is important. You must have a vSphere which supports the distributed vswitch feature, since the 5900v will be installed as a replacement for the distributed vswitch.

* be careful getting docs from h3c site. HP has a no-license policy for the 5900 (or all features enabled and available out of the box), which is different from the h3c boxes (where a license is required as per h3c doc). So I recommend to check the HP docs site for the 5900.

Best regards,Peter