3396 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-IMC: Failed to import software/firmware from device

Trikster
Occasional Visitor

HP-IMC: Failed to import software/firmware from device

Hi,

when I try to import software, Service - Configuration center - Software library with a error message (Failed to read the current software of the device.)

1. Check that the SNMP parameters of the device in the iMC are the same as those of the device.
2. Check whether the current device software name is the same as that of the software name in the iMC. If not, synchronize the device.
3. Check that the iCC supports the device in the version list.
4. Check the MIB style (Execute the display mib-style command. If the MIB style is displayed as new, but it displays that the node sending the Set request is 2011 after packet capturing, synchronize the device. Check the MIB style again. If the MIB style is still inconsistent, execute the mib-style [ new | compatible ] command, and then restart the device.).
5. Check whether the software name is modified through Telnet, or the software is upgraded but the device is not restarted. Restart the device and try again.
6.Please check the Telnet user name and password are correct.
7.If by script, check that the script is correct.

Running and Startup config backup works fine.

Defualt file transfer is set to SFTP and Switch login type is set to SSH.
On switch config the "ip ssh filetransfer" is enabled
Switch model is:HP 5412zl Switch

7 REPLIES 7
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-IMC: Failed to import software/firmware from device

I can't say exactly what's going wrong, but I would probably start by going through the server\conf\log\imccfgbakdm.* logfiles. These should tell you what IMC is up to when it tries to retrieve the software version. It should tell you what steps it's trying, and (maybe) give you a clue as to what's failing. 

Start with that log, see if you can see anything interesting around the time you tried retrieving the software. If you can't see anything interesting in it, post it up here, and we'll see if we can narrow down where the problem lies.

Trikster
Occasional Visitor

Got it working. Looks like HP-iMC bug to me. Service - Configuration Center - Options, there is a Default Transfer Mode, when I set this to SFTP it wont work, but when I add my switches to "Single Device Transfer Mode" and set Transfer Mode to SFTP it works.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

That's pretty interesting. I've seen a few oddities around that, where it gets a bit confused with SSH, SCP and SFTP, but I haven't thought it would be related to default transfer mode vs individual setting. I might have to play around with this a bit. 

plroybal
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

I'm hoping this will get to Lindsay Hill regarding failure to import firmware from device.  We have IMC 7.0 installed using Linux server platform.  We are either HP A or E series switches.  All of our switches are configured to do ssh only.  Telnet is turned off.  When I try to copy firmware from a switch to build up the software library the process fails.  Here's the two entries in the index:

1. Initialize task Parameters - Succeeded

2. Back up device's running software to IMC sever. - Failed to login device by Telnet.

Under suggestions for the failed result I see:

1.Please check the Telnet user name and password are correct.

2.Please check the Telnet software exists in iMC server.

3.VTY is out of limit of device, please try later.

Here's the deal that I find of interest.  I do have some switch firmware in my software library that was imorted from some switches that had telnet enabled and were discovered with telnet as the Login Type , and they worked.  Now that I have disabled telnet on those switches and set their Login Type to SSH, they won't work any more and and in fact none work with SSH set as their Login Type for this process.   Is there an issue with using the switch as a source for the firmware if it is set to Login Type SSH versus Telnet?  If that's the case, will I have a failure when I push a firmare image upgrade out to a switch that is set to Login Type SSH versus Telnet?  I don't feel like I should be having this problem and need to do a bunch of troubleshooting for a pieve of software we paid to have working out of the box.  I'm having a tough time finding good resources for this product.  Please point me at some online resources if possible.

Thanks,

Pat Roybal

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

It's been a while since I looked at it, but some of the adapters for firmware upload/download make some assumptions about having SNMP r/w and using plaintext protocols.

If you read through the logs, it might give you an indication of where it's going wrong. You can also look through the adapter definitions themselves.
Souaize
Frequent Visitor

Hi Pat, 

I'm experiencing the same issue on HP IMC 7.3.. Impossible to import software from Cisco device through HP IMC software.

I also have the same error "Failed to login device by Telnet"  and for security reason i disabled all Telnet connexion on my switch.

Did you find any workaround concerning this problem?

Regards

Fred

Ryan Engstrom
Occasional Contributor

I am pretty new to iMC, and ran across this thread when attempting to upgrade firmware on a switch.  I also have telnet disabled on all switches.  I found that the default file transfer mode (Service > Configuration Center > Options) needed to be changed from TFTP to SFTP.  I then had to change the SSH settings within iMC to match the switch (Resource > Device View > click on switch > click on 'Modify SSH Settings' on the bottom right under the Configure area).  I believe an SSH template can be created if you have the same SSH settings on all switches.  After making those changes, I am now able to update firmware from Service > Configuration Center > Deployment Guide > Deploy Device Software.

I am running iMC PLAT 7.3 (E0506).  Hopefully this helps you out!