1751914 Members
4978 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

HP iMC setting up NTA with Cisco ASA, help please?

o0JeZ0o
Occasional Visitor

HP iMC setting up NTA with Cisco ASA, help please?

Hi all,

I'm trying to evaluate HP iMC and am having trouble getting Netflow traffic analysis to work with with our Cisco ASA.

When I discover the device in iMC it registers it as a Cisco AS5510 (correct) but categories it as a Voice device when it is a Security device.  Further inspection using the MIB browser shows me that the OID being reported for the device is 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 when it actually should be 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.669

The Cisco MIB support list for this device is here:  ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/asa/asa-supportlist.html

Is someone able to help me with what I need to do to get this corrected in iMC?  I've followed all the guides and videos to get NTA setup and I have tested it working fine with another Cisco router, however iMC will just not receive data from the ASA no matter what I do and I think it is because the device is not being registered correctly as shown above.

I assume I need to import the MIB or Traps for the Cisco ASA into iMC, but I can't seem to work it out.

I'm new to both iMC and Cisco ASA's so detailed help would be greatly appreciated.  This is the last thing I need to get working correctly before I can recommend we purchase the product.

cheers

3 REPLIES 3
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: HP iMC setting up NTA with Cisco ASA, help please?

ASAs do some non-standard things with NetFlow, and I haven't been able to get IMC to process that format.

1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 is the sysUpTime OID. That will not be used to detect the device type. IMC will be polling 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2 (sysObjectID), which should return  1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.669

On the Device Details page for the ASA, it should report the sysOID. What does it say on that page? Can you post a screenshot of that?

You are unlikely to need to import any MIBs or Trap Definitions.

o0JeZ0o
Occasional Visitor

Hi Lindsay, thanks for the reply. Please see attached a grab of the ASA device details in iMC.

I can get our ASA to send Netflow data just fine to PRTG Network Monitor as well as Whatsup Gold. I really like the features I can get out of HP iMC but it's making it hard for me to justify the purchase if I can't get the same functionality to work with our devices.

Hopefully you or someone might be able to give me some more info to get it working.... cheers

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Looking at IMC's Device Model DB, it seems to have classified the 5510 as a Voice system. That's no big deal though, it's really just a display thing. You can change it for that device to Security, or you can change the default for that Device Model (System -> Resource Management -> Device Model).

That will make no difference to NetFlow though. I wasn't able to get it working last time I tried with IMC 5.1 SP1, and I haven't seen anything in the more recent release notes to indicate that has changed.

See here for some more on this: http://www.netopscommunity.net/forums/-/message_boards/message/46586