New Discussion

HPE IMC - filtering SNMP traps - meaning of views, other isuues

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karol Karkowski
Advisor

HPE IMC - filtering SNMP traps - meaning of views, other isuues

Hi community 

I use HPE IMC from quite a long time, but always have some problems with filtering port UP/DOWN traps/alarms for access ports. 

First I know that there's an option in System Settings which can be used to filter-up PC-connected links. I always turn it on but it seems without any effect. Probably algoritm to find access ports doesn't work well enough.

Bacouse in my case I have classic star network architecture, I need only to observe link on Core switch not on access switches, because when uplink on access switch fails, it also fails on Core switch side.

What works for me is to define SNMP trap with Filter Mode By Trap and Link State DOWN(NMS Resource) for Alarm Trap Name.

But it is interesing for me what for is option to select Custom View.

I thought that when I have defined custom views with assosiation rules defined, new access switches will be automatically filterd out with DOWN traps. But it seems they're not. 

Can some explain and share best and most effective methods for filtering UP/DOWN traps ?

Best I would like to achive a situation when I don't need add specific new devices or interfaces to the filtering rule but prefer system will do it automaicall. It is espacially important when the network is large, in my case over 300 network devices and network dynamically changes.

Thanks for any help 

Karol

4 REPLIES 4
Shruthi_L
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: HPE IMC - filtering SNMP traps - meaning of views, other isuues

Hello

Based on the query raised I understand you would like to understand the effective methods for filtering UP/DOWN traps?

I would suggest you to refer to the below document
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04374031

Also inorder to verify I would suggest you to refer latest release to check if there are any known issues

Thanks

I am a HPE Employee
Karol Karkowski
Advisor

Hi

Sorry for late response

Thank You for info 

I wil study materials. 

Regards

Karol

Johnny_K
Occasional Collector

I had found that document too but was looking for a more elegant solution.  I mean we have 1000s of ports accross the network and we have to list them one by one?  That doesn't work. 

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

I think there may be some confusion here about port types detected by iMC. A "PC-Connected" port will only be detected as such when iMC determines there is a "PC" connected there - in other words you have a device that is discovered in iMC with only ICMP available for monitoring. Again, this is only something iMC will pick up on if you have discovered the end device on the interface.

There's another port type called "Idle Interface", which should already apply to all those ports where PCs are connected that are not discovered by iMC. Alarms for "Idle Interfaces" going down can be turned off by the Up/Down Setting called "Alarms for disconnected links". If you set this to Filter then you would not get alarms when any Idle Interface goes down.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo