1753637 Members
5397 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How correctly migrate IMC 7.2 from one host to another?

SOLVED
Go to solution
DSV12
Frequent Advisor

How correctly migrate IMC 7.2 from one host to another?

Hi, all!

At now our instance IMC 7.2 (E0403P10) works on physical host with hardware limitation on 8 Gb RAM (os Scientific Linux 6.8). RAM became insufficient, so I want migrate IMC to another host, most likely on a VM (VMWare ESX), with more resources.

How as the most correct to migrate IMC, not to lose the license?

TIA,

Sergei

13 REPLIES 13
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

Re: How correctly migrate IMC 7.2 from one host to another?

Hello !

If I'm not mistaken, it is necessary to activate a new license. For this the license linked to current installation.

In my case, I had to open a ticket in support to remove the old license.

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

You can also do it online at the HPE My Network/licenses site.

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/license/GenerateLicense.aspx?smp=1

I had logged a call to support but they also said it could be done online - 

Not very obvious as to how, going back and looking.

If your node count is below the demo limits you can run using that. If not build the new install, then do the license swap, then turn off the old one. It will remain active as a license until you reboot  or shut it down as I recall.

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

I can't see where to transfer IMC licences from the mynetworking site either. I can see plenty of other licences to transfer, but none of them are related to IMC. The account I am using has IMC licences, but they are not displaying in the transfer or uninstall list.

Logging a call seems to be the best option atm.

johnk3r
Respected Contributor

In my case, just opening called in support to solve this "problem".

ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
DSV12
Frequent Advisor

If i understand correctly updating licences for both cases: online swap or with call to support assumes a clean installation new copy IMC? But i want make migration (p2v) for current IMC installation with retention of the configuration, data, logs etc.
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

You will need to do a backup & restore. You will still need a new license.

DSV12
Frequent Advisor

Hi, all!
You will need to do a backup & restore. You will still need a new license.
Sorry, not really understand: what I have backup/restore? Database? But I want to completely migrate the system (os+IMC+MySQL) to another "hardware" (actually it will be p2v transfer the system from hardware host to a virtual machine). It will be not "clean" install IMC on a new system followed by restore of IMC.

That's what wrote the support:

The only time a license transfer is needed is when the serial number changes.
The serial number can change for a number of reasons. If the new system has the same serial number, you can apply the license key file and it should work.
However, if for some reason the serial number changes (sometimes a reboot of the system can trigger this), then you'll need to request a license transfer.
Once you have moved your current system, please check the IMC serial number and if it has changed, let me know and i can attempt the transfer for you. If it hasnt changed, then apply the current license key.

WBR,

Sergei

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

If you are p2v'ing then you won't need to build a new imc and backup/restore the db from the old one.

But you will still need to transfer the license because the license is linked to the hardware mac address.

May be less downtime to build a new imc and backup/restore the db while keeping the old one running, versus the time it takes to p2v the system and then transfer the license.

Lynn-Marie
Valued Contributor
Solution

NEW feature!

Now customers can transfer their IMC licenses without calling in to support. Instructions: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=null&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00052171en_us

Let us know what you think!

Kind regards,
Lynn-Marie

Accept or Kudo