108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to add device in IMC without adding all interfaces and vlans to it

SOLVED
Go to solution
fritzah
Occasional Advisor

How to add device in IMC without adding all interfaces and vlans to it

Hello, I cannot find in the manual or through the GUI on how to add a single device without IMC adding all the interfaces.  When I add a single device to monitor a Cisco 6513, it then tries to monitor all interfaces and vlans and eventually hurst the CPU performance.  Just want to add it to monitor CPU, memory and a few interfaces.  5.1 on Windows 2008.  Thanks in advance.

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

There's a couple of things at play here.

One is the "Default Monitoring Indexes", which defines the things that are monitored by default on any newly added system. This is accessed through System -> System Configuration -> Default Monitoring Indexes. You may wish to disable the "Interface Statistics" group.

Secondly, there are options for which interfaces are monitored by default. Go Resource -> Performance Management -> Performance Option. Click on the "Monitor Option" tab. Here you can set options for which interfaces are monitored - up interfaces, all interfaces, or only interfaces connected to SNMP devices (generally switches or routers), etc.

Have a play around with the combination of those two settings. 

Note that of course you can enable or disable any Performance monitors on a per device/interface basis.

Hope this helps

- Lindsay

fritzah
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your prompt response.  In System -> System Configuration -> Default Monitoring Indexes all interface boxes are unchecked, if click on the right "monitor options" on the same window is where you can select the radio buttons for "all interfaces", "monitor up interfaces", "monitor physical interfaces" and  "monitor up physical interfaces", I only have "monitor up physical connections" selected. I was hoping there would be a setting here that would say "do not monitor any interfaces" or "manually add interfaces", This is the same I believe as going to "resource" -> "performance mgmt" -> "performance option".  I have even gone as far as to remove all interface related settings under the "resource" ->  "global index settings" which may or may not have been a mistake.  I was having trouble figuring out how to remove a interface manually from a device, I guess I will have to keep testing although this won't be very efficient as we have to manage/monitor 1000 HP switches.  Links will be going up and down on end user PC's and even though I was able filter those connections, I am worried that customizing IMC will be difficult.  Again any help is appreciated as I have been banging my head against the wall.  I have even tried all the Youtube TheIMCmanagement channels videos which were of some help.  Thank you.

Chris 

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor
Solution

Firstly, good to see you found @netmanchris's videos on YouTube. They do help a lot.

Secondly, you're right, going that way to "Monitor Option" gets to the same place. Just a different way. When you're looking at that screen, you should have some radio buttons, and some checkboxes. If you have unticked all of the checkboxes, then I would not expect any interfaces to be performance monitored by default.

Global Index settings are alarm thresholds. They do not affect whether a port is monitored or not.

Just to clarify, are you actually seeing performance monitoring enabled for all interfaces, even though you have unticked all of "Interfaces Connected to SNMP Devices", "Interfaces Connected to PCs", "Interfaces Connected to Servers" ? The interfaces will be added to IMC, but they should NOT have performance monitoring enabled. If you go to Performance Management -> Monitoring Settings, and find your device, does it have a large number in the "Instances" column? If you drill into that Instances number, does it show performance monitoring for every interface?

You don't actually "remove" an interface from a device, you just change whether it has performance monitoring configured or not. You can separately control whether you want up/down alarms for that interface too.

Lastly, there is an IMC community getting started at www.netopscommunity.net. You might find some more IMC-specific people and knowledge there.

fritzah
Occasional Advisor

I will test your solutions today and let you know, thanks again.  

fritzah
Occasional Advisor

I also joined www.netopscommunity.net, thank you again.