1753477 Members
5534 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hpe IMC add Cpu usage index for Dell N-Series failed ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lewis1
Advisor

Hpe IMC add Cpu usage index for Dell N-Series failed ?

Hello,

I am trying to integrate some Dell N-Series switchs (N4032F in my case) on my IMC E0705P06 installation to get performance views of cpu/memory and interface statistics. When I try to add monitor instance for these common index: "System-CPU Usage", "System-Memory Usage", i have a result from IMC which says that it failed.

When I do the same for "System-Interface Statistics",  it's OK.

I don't know how to resolve this and what configuration steps to do:

- do I need to add the necessary OID for the "System-CPU Usage" index ? and if yes where ?

- or add a custom Index specially for Dell N-series device ?

- or add a custom adapter for the device ? but I don't need CLI functions just some performance graphs.

I already added a new "Vendor Series" and "Vendor model" but i think this is not needed to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

2 REPLIES 2
jguse
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Hpe IMC add Cpu usage index for Dell N-Series failed ?

Hello,

It looks like these switches do not support the standard CPU & Memory OIDs that iMC is trying to poll. Either that or they were just not accessible on your device. That's what it means when you fail to add the monitoring indexes in iMC.

You could troubleshoot that by taking a packet capture on iMC when you add the indexes to the devices - you should see SNMP GET requests from iMC to the devices containing the OIDs that iMC tries to retrieve. If the devices respond with something like 'NoSuchObject' that typically means they don't support it.

From some quick research I can see that there are definitely some OIDs you can use on Dell switches for this, but they are non-standard enterprise-specific OIDs, for which iMC does not have a pre-defined index. In other words you would need to create a Custom Index for both CPU and Memory usage here in order to monitor it. Make sure you compile the MIBs for the devices to monitor using iMC's MIB Management first.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Lewis1
Advisor

Re: Hpe IMC add Cpu usage index for Dell N-Series failed ?

Thank you for your answers. I did a tcpdump and found that imc tries to query a lot of OID from different branches (cisco, 3com) but for every request the switch reply only with a generic answer "dell EMC;6.5.3.3" so I am guessing that the switch reply this answer when the oid not exists, and since imc does not know the specific oid for dell N-series cpu usage and memory, it fails.

I will create a custom index, thank you for your answer.

Regards,