1753261 Members
4936 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: IMC 7.2 Deploying Configuration Template

LkGeek
Occasional Advisor

IMC 7.2 Deploying Configuration Template

I'm trying to deploy a simple logging config to a set of switches, but fails with failed to telnet device message. I can telnet to devices from within IMC without problems. Login method set to Telnet and access parametes correctly set. No username or password required. Automatic config backup works fine too if that is related. 

Any ideas appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
RogerKaram
Occasional Advisor

Hello Lk, 

Make sure you're SNMP Write community is working. Although sometimes IMC blames Telnet for things, it uses SNMP more than you can tell. You can test your values by going to Resource -> Batch Operations -> Check Access Settings.

Best of luck,

RK

LkGeek
Occasional Advisor

Hello RK and the rest

Thank you very much for trying to help.

I did what you suggested. Check Access Settings came up a success. I have set up device access settings under devices. However, under batch operation settings are wrong. What ever changes I apply do not seem to stay. Could this be the issue. Correct settings are still there if you check under Device View --> Device.

Same for SNMP settings too.

Thanks

LK

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Having no username or password is a little unusual, to say the least. People usually make at least a vague nod towards security.

Could you explain more about what you mean by this?:

However, under batch operation settings are wrong. What ever changes I apply do not seem to stay.

Where do the changes not "stay" ?

LkGeek
Occasional Advisor

Hello Lindsay

Thanks for responding. 

I haven't set up username/password at this stage nor any devices are connected to switches yet.

I go to batch operation, select set of switches, change telnet parameters then apply the change. I get the message confirming change had been appllied. But when checked under batch operation, parameters remain the same as was before the change.  

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

The parameters on that screen are just a starting point for the batch operation. They don't reflect the current settings. What would you expect to see on that screen if you were executing that change on 20 devices, each of which currently had unique settings?

Go to the device's Device Details page, and see what it's set to there.

Also, if you're just changing one single device, you don't need to use Batch Operations. You can do it from the Device Details page.

LkGeek
Occasional Advisor

Hi LH

Telnet settings under device details are correct. I can telnet to devices from within IMC without problems.

I was wondering if telnet settings under batch operation had anything to do with my failing application of a simple configuration script. Configuration script application fails citing inability to telnet to devices. 

Since my username/password comnination is no username/no password across all devices, shouldn't I see this under batch seetings if I select 1 device or all of them. I do not see this for any combination of devices. Hence I thought, if configuration script application was using telnet settings from batch operation instead of device details.

Any ideas appreciated.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@LkGeek wrote:

Since my username/password comnination is no username/no password across all devices, shouldn't I see this under batch seetings if I select 1 device or all of them. I do not see this for any combination of devices. .

No. Ignore the batch settings thing. It's not used anywhere else. It just starts with default Telnet settings for batch operations. It doesn't take into account what's currently configured for that device.

As to why your configuration thing is failing, I'd start looking into the logs to see what's going on. The telnet failure message is a generic one, and doesn't necessarily mean that there was a telnet failure. 

Do you have SNMP read/write configured for these devices?

LkGeek
Occasional Advisor

Hi LH

SNMP read/write has been configured on switches and IMC. SNMP check passes everytime.

Thanks

LK

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

OK, time to look at some more things:

• Are you deploying a Configuration snippet, or running a CLI script? Running config/startup config?
  • What options are you selecting when deploying? e.g. "Before deployment, save the device's running configuration..." etc
  • What device types?
  • What file transfer type do you have set for those devices?

Further troubleshooting steps:

• Look in <IMC>/server/data/jobmgr. Look for some files in there. Look at the contents of the most recent files. 
  • Run Wireshark, and look at what traffic you see between IMC & the device in question. Does it attempt to telnet to the device? Look at the traffic, see if you can see anything obviously wrong, or it stopping at an odd place.
  • <IMC>/client/log/imcforeground.log may contain some clues.

Can you also post a screenshot of the exact error message you're seeing?