4900 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IMC 7.2 released

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

IMC 7.2 released

FYI, IMC 7.2 has been released.

Download here: https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/Downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JG747AAE&lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=4176535

This can be installed on a new system, or you can upgrade existing 7.1 systems. 

Lots of new features & bug fixes.

22 REPLIES 22
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

I'm thinking of building a fresh install. I suspect my current install has some issues from too many updates...

Is there an easy way to migrate the db forward after its built? - Update: release notes say no

So maybe build up fresh 7.1 install, import DB then update to 7.2?

How about the licenses?

thx

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Hmm, gets a bit tricky trying to import DBs, and while you might clean up a few issues, you'll probably bring a few across with the DB.

I tend to think that the best way to do this sort of cleanup/migration is to minimise the amount of data that you pull across. That might mean just dumping a list of devices, importing those into a new system, and manually setting up the groups, etc.

Maybe you could install a new instance, and run both in parallel for a short time while you manually migrate settings? 

You'll probably need to get your licenses migrated, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you've got active support.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, and that would allow testing the new version along side, which is a good thing.. UAM is my critical function and that's not out as 7.2 yet, but needs to be proven first. Yes I do have support.

But it's still a lot of configuring to re-do unfortunately as I've done a fair amount of stuff with imc, in trying out all the features. 

thx

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Bit of a tricky one, trying to balance migration effort vs possible cleanups.

I guess UAM 7.2 won't be too far away. Looks like iNode 7.2 is already released, and some of the other modules are starting to come through (e.g. NTA)

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Well I set up my test vm for this and can't install it - I think the install script has an error somewhere. I get this error:

Begin to install database and data...
--------------------------------
Begin to create config_db foreground tables and data...
Warning: Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'imc_config'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Installing on Win 2012r2 with MySQL 5.6 - it creates the DB table and the user but then tries another operation with that user and fails so I think someone mistyped the pw in the script.

I've put a call into techsupport for another issue, but still waiting on call back from that one.

BTW - any thoughts on mySQL vs embededed SQL server xpress for smaller installations (<1000 nodes is their criteria)? 

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the good news!

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

@JasonL1 wrote:

Thanks for the good news!

Just handed it off to tech support. Will keep you posted - at least its got an early start...

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@NeilR wrote:

Well I set up my test vm for this and can't install it - I think the install script has an error somewhere. I get this error:

Begin to install database and data...
--------------------------------
Begin to create config_db foreground tables and data...
Warning: Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'imc_config'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Installing on Win 2012r2 with MySQL 5.6 - it creates the DB table and the user but then tries another operation with that user and fails so I think someone mistyped the pw in the script.

I've put a call into techsupport for another issue, but still waiting on call back from that one.

BTW - any thoughts on mySQL vs embededed SQL server xpress for smaller installations (<1000 nodes is their criteria)? 

I seem to recall having some problems along those lines on a Linux/MySQL install when I didn't have the MySQL authentication setup quite right. It was a while ago, but I think the issue was related to having not explicitly configured MySQL to allow a password when connecting to a DB on the same host.

Regards SQL Express, I wouldn't use it for more than ~100 nodes. Definitely not 1000 nodes. I'd prefer to use full SQL Server or MySQL. I haven't tried using MySQL on Windows though, I've only used it on Linux. It *should* be OK on Windows.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor