1752402 Members
5639 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IMC 7.2 released

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Currently using mySQl for imc and some other aplications and don't have any issues w it on Win. I thought I saw HP claiming the SQL server express would support up to 1000 nodes which strcuk me as optimistic.

The install of MySql 5.6 is more painful than 5.5 at least when it comes to being specific about where you want your files - its trying to be too 'packaged'.

I did configure the root pw and imc prompted for it upon installation, and the fact that it creates the table and user indicates it can do so correctly  But I did also try installing with no root password, as well as the pw used as an example in the docs - sometimes those creep into the scripts - no luck.

The UAM docs were not posted as of last Thursday  - i will check again

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@NeilR wrote:

I did configure the root pw and imc prompted for it upon installation, and the fact that it creates the table and user indicates it can do so correctly  But I did also try installing with no root password, as well as the pw used as an example in the docs - sometimes those creep into the scripts - no luck.

Like I said, I can't quite remember the specifics, but I have seen something similar, and I believe it was related to MySQL authentication setup. Looking through my Ansible playbooks for IMC MySQL setup, I've got these lines: 

- name: Ensure MySQL root@localhost has password
  mysql_user: name={{ dbuser }} password={{ dbpassword }} priv=*.*:ALL,GRANT host='localhost' state=present check_implicit_admin=yes

- name: Set MySQL root password for other hosts
  mysql_user: name={{ dbuser }} password={{ dbpassword }} priv=*.*:ALL,GRANT state=present check_implicit_admin=yes

- name: Deletes anonymous MySQL server user for ansible_fqdn
  mysql_user: user="" host="{{ ansible_nodename }}" state="absent" check_implicit_admin=yes

- name: Deletes anonymous MySQL server user for localhost
  mysql_user: user="" host="localhost" state="absent" check_implicit_admin=yes

Key bits are that MySQL has a root password even for local access, and that there are no anonymous users.

On a Linux box you can capture network traffic on the loopback, so you can look at the exact commands IMC is passing to MySQL. Don't think that's possible with Windows though.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Never heard back from tech support. And I've had some other application distractions, so this may not move forward until next year.

Question - my log show failure of user 'imc_config'@'localhost' - do you think the script is assigning the root password for this user or some other specific password for that user?

Its successfuly using the root account because it creates the user, and the tables. If I knew what password it was going to assign I could modify the user at the console.

I reviewed the UAM notes - not a major release, but 1 nice feature at least - redundanct domain controllers for mschap authentication.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@NeilR wrote:

Question - my log show failure of user 'imc_config'@'localhost' - do you think the script is assigning the root password for this user or some other specific password for that user?

Its successfuly using the root account because it creates the user, and the tables. If I knew what password it was going to assign I could modify the user at the console.

At install time iMC creates semi-random passwords for each individual user.

You can see what they are using with pwdmgr.sh/pwdmgr.bat, e.g.:

[root@imc deploy]# ./pwdmgr.sh -query 127.0.0.1 config_db imc_config
Password: iMC7_7NQEh4xClR
[root@imc deploy]# .

Can you give us the output of "select User,Host from mysql.user" ?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

OK, I can re-create your error message by changing my Ansible playbook to leave the MySQL anonymous users in there. You have to make sure you remove those users.

If you don't, then at the end of a failed install you'll have something like this in mysql.user:

mysql> select user,host from mysql.user;
+------------+-----------------+
| user       | host            |
| imc_config | %               |
| root       | 127.0.0.1       |
| root       | ::1             |
|            | imc.localdomain |
| root       | imc.localdomain |
|            | localhost       |
| root       | localhost       |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

The problem comes from the way MySQL does username/host matching. It looks for most specific hostname match first, then usernames. So if you login as "imc_config"@localhost", then it will look through the host=localhost matches. 'root' doesn't match, but anonymous (the empty username string above) *does* match. So it now tries to match imc@config@localhost against ""@localhost. That account doesn't have permissions to the imc_config DB.

If you remove the anonymous local account, it will then fall back to the wildcard host '%'. It will match imc_config@"%" against your imc_config@localhost login. That will match the passwords + privileges you need.

See here: http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?10,637583,637683#msg-637683 and here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/connection-access.html for more info on what's going on.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

imc_config %
root          %
root          127.0.0.1
root          ::1
                localhost
root          localhost

THere was also anonymous % that for some reason was not on that list.

i have deleted anonymous at localhost and anonymous % - now its installing - Thanks!!

BTW the mySQL 5.6 installer gives so little control over the install - I'd recommend sticking w 5.5 - at least on WIndows....I suspect it would have gone easier.

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

msener
Occasional Visitor

when is UAM 7.2 going to be released? any idea from anyone?

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

I just got it up and running at home and, let me tell you. This new desktop option is amazing!

Pack3tL0ss
Valued Contributor

Yes very cool for Multi-Tasking and for setting up more simplified customizable views with just the stuff you use regularly.

I still use the main interface for the most part, but there is benefit to this development there as well.  Their is a new "Quick Service Process" widget available on the home screen.  You can add the same buttons/functions as you have in the desktop interface.  It will pop an overlay over the main imc interface with that process window.  Handy for doing those quick tasks without having to browse away from the home page.

PL