7620 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IMC 7.3 P09 Unable to use Port Group with Interface Alias rule

GeirTK
Frequent Visitor

IMC 7.3 P09 Unable to use Port Group with Interface Alias rule

Hi

I'm trying to dynamically gather all uplinks into a port group.

I use the Automatically Add New Interfaces "Based on Specified Rule" 

The "Interface Alias Rule" is "UPLINK*"

I don't get any interfaces into the group with this configuration.

What am i missing here ?

Regards,
Geir

6 REPLIES 6
bala5
Frequent Advisor

Hi ,

Please mention the switch model and configuration snippet you have applied.

Bala
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

GeirTK
Frequent Visitor

Hi

We have a lot of different switch models. 2500 series, 2600 series 2800 series, 3500 series, 5300 series, 5400 series.

I suppose the Port Group automatic will add every port from every switch that match the "Interface alias rule" ?

Config:

Basic info:

Group Name: Uplinks

Access rights: Admininstrator group, Maintainer Group, Viewer Group

Automatically Add New Interfaces: "Bases on Specified Rule"

Interface Alias Rule: "*UPLINK*"

Regards,
Geir
Norway

bala5
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Make sure you have the same alias rule configured on the device and strings are same.

Can you share what alias you have configured in the device ?

if everything correct then please log a support case.

Bala
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

GeirTK
Frequent Visitor

Hi

Interface name info from a HP 2520-8-poe switch:

switch01# sh name

Port Type Name
----- --------- -----------------
1 10/100TX Port-1
2 10/100TX Port-2
3 10/100TX Port_3
4 10/100TX PORT_4
5 10/100TX
6 10/100TX
7 10/100TX
8 10/100TX
9 100/1000T
10 100/1000T UPLINK

The Port Group should dynamically have added the "Port 10 UPLINK"  from this switch as i understand this. But it don't. It looks like the "Interface alias rule" is using the wrong fields for some reason.

I tried to use ?? as the Interface alias rule which should added every port with 2 characters/numbers. But it don't.

Is there a log in IMC where i can see what interface alias rule the port group is evaluating ?

I have no  "alias rule configured on the device".  On the HP 2520  the alias function is a alias for a command. I can't see the connection between the device alias rule and the Port Group Interface alias rule.

Regards,
Geir

OCHIT
Occasional Visitor

Is there any update on this?  I'm also unable to find any details on the filter format for automatically adding interfaces to a port group in IMC.  I can use the GUI filter to query the interfaces with names and aliases, but I am unsure of the filter format for Interface Alias Rule and Based on Specified Rule criteria in the modify port group settings page on IMC.

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

When it comes to the 'automatically add interfaces' rules in Port Groups, please keep in mind that these only apply to devices which are added to iMC after the rule is already configured. It will not automatically apply to interfaces on devices already in iMC.

If you want to add existing interfaces efficiently to a Port Group, modify the Port Group, and click on 'Add' under the Select Interfaces area. In the pop-up window, click on the Advanced tab. Here you can filter and query by various interface parameters across all your existing device interfaces - including Interface Alias. Then just add all valid matches found in the results to your selected interfaces.

Keep in mind you don't need any wildcards * or ? there - it is automatically doing a rough match, so querying by alias text UPLINK would match an interface alias of SWITCH-UPLINK and also match UPLINKtoCORE, but not ULINK.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo