7504 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: IMC IP Address Allocation - Autoscanning feature not working

klausengelmann
Occasional Visitor

IMC IP Address Allocation - Autoscanning feature not working

Hello Everyone.

I would like to know if anyone as tried to use IMC IP Address Allocation (under Terminal Access).

I created successfully all the networks but the Auto Scanning operation is not working.

Where are the logs for this feature. The server where IMC is connected can reach all the networks that where used in the IP Address Allocation.

Regards,

Klaus Engelmann

4 REPLIES 4
kortemi
Advisor

Hi,

I have the same problem. I am trying to use the IP Address Allocation to manage our IP address ranges, but it's heavy going with manual work.

Autoscan works within the same subnet where the IMC server is, but any other subnets (across WAN links) do not seem to be doing anything (and yes, I have waited, hours on one occasion).

I cannot seem to find any documentation about the ports / protocols used for this, though I assume it's initially at least just a ping (in which case it should work).

Also, I find it a bit strange that the devices and their IP addresses already in the IMC db are not automatically filled in to the IP Address Allocation reservation tables.

Is there some trick to it to make this work, or is the feature just broken?

Regards,

Mika

Neelixx
Frequent Advisor

I wrote about using this process a few weeks ago, but it wasn't very detailed.  Just a simple "Can it be done" aspect.  Mostly from an IPAM perspective. Rather than a discovery perspective.  The largest downside I see, is that you still have to manually "allocate" the device once discovered.  It does not do it automatically.

http://www.myteneo.net/blog/-/blogs/using-hp-intelligent-management-center-for-ipam-

I do know that it does, in fact, go beyond the local subnet of the server.  I would check to see if you are filtering ICMP, as I believe that is the first check IMC goes to see what is available.  Once it gets an ICMP, it should start discovering using SNMP, but this is not confirmed.

I should load a packet cap on my lab to see what it actually does.

-------
Aaron Paxson
@Neelixx
gjames-smu
Advisor

I have this issue too. Do I really have to go through 26 pages of addresses and allocate the ip addresses as used? Its painfull to have to do so many things manually with this product when it should be automated. Eve if I could swlect more than 200 rows at a time would be an improvement. Why not a thousand or 500 rows?

How can I set this up to automatically keep a record of mac to ip address data and when it was last active.

It would be great if it also tracked the port where and when it was last seen. The data is all there so its I need a way to extract it.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

agree that the value here is a bit thin

But a minor assist is to adjust the number of items that can be displayed in one page - at least the select all box is leveraged better for manual operations.

Go to <InstallDrive>:\Program Files\iMC\client\conf and edit commonCfg.properties

change these as desired

defaultMaxItems = nnn - the default number displayed on many but not all lists

maxItemNumberForPagennn - the max number displayed in the lists at one time.

Restart your client.

Note that these changes will get overwritten for most IMC upgrades.