108760 Solutions
New Discussion

IMC - Installing 7.3 with a remote SQL 2016 database

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ed Nicoll
Occasional Contributor

IMC - Installing 7.3 with a remote SQL 2016 database

We are trying to carry out a clean install of IMC 7.3 onto a WS 2016 VM (Hyper-V) and connect it to a remote SQL 2016 database on our SQL farm. There doesnt seem to be a document indicating how to carry out this version of install just one for SQL Server 2014.

We have followed the guide for installing using a SQL Server 2014 server but there are some differences which may be the issue. On running the osql –S 192.168.20.110 –U sa –P iMC123456 command with the relevant server, user and password for the database it seems to connect ok as we get the SQL command prompt but when we run the envcheck.bat tool it tells us that "a database or database client was not detected".

I have installed SQL Management Studio and Client Tools Connectivity and Integration Services, Client Tools Backwards Compatibility and Client Tools SDK from the 2016 install media. We have checked that the specified port used for the database is the same as what has been manually selected on the SQL server.

Does anyone have access do a SQL 2016 remote install document or any advice on how to get the database and IMC install to communicate correctly?

3 REPLIES 3
jguse
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: IMC - Installing 7.3 with a remote SQL 2016 database

Hello Ed,

The SQL Server 2016 Installation and Configuration Guide for IMC should be in the process of getting officially published, but unfortunately it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, I'll send you a PM with a link to download the guide.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Tasports
Established Member

Hi there

I am attempting to do the same, however I cannot find any doco to assist.  Basically want to move IMC to another upgraded server and install the database on our external database server.  started the new installation of IMC using custom settings however I didnt get any db settings as I think that I need to install the db connectivity tools first.  Dont know what is required so if I could grab a copy of the guide, that would geatly assist me

cheers

Andrew 

personal info erased

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please have a look here for iMC documentation in general.

SQL Server 2016 installation guide (and newer SQL version guides) have since been published and can be found by searching there. Here is a direct link to the SQL 2016 guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00079689en_us

If you don't get any DB settings when installing, then iMC did not detect any DB Client installed on your system. The client is needed to connect to the DB server and you can see how to install it in the guide. Make sure you don't forget MSSQL Management Studio, as this includes some tools like bcp.exe that iMC requires.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo