New Discussion юеВ

IMC integrating SQL 2016 with Windows Server 2016

SOLVED
Go to solution
SSHBOY
Occasional Contributor

IMC integrating SQL 2016 with Windows Server 2016

Hi everyone,

i have tried integrating SQL server 2016 sp1 with IMC on a Windows Server 2016, but i cannot get through the IMC installation.

An error pops up saying connection to database failed.

in SQL 2008 the management tool feature was checked, but when i was installing SQL server 2016, i didnt see that box. is it something to do with that ? is installing the management tool an important part in giving connection from SQL to IMC.

or is it compatibility issues ?

5 REPLIES 5
randomizer
Frequent Visitor

Re: IMC integrating SQL 2016 with Windows Server 2016

Hi,

I've had the same issue. its definitely a compatibility issue - there is no coombination of software that gets it to work, and I've confirmed via sniffer that the IMC installation does actually successfully talk to the db server whenit gives that error - IMC doesn't like it. In the docs HP IMC v7.3 supports MS SQL 2014 and below, not 2016/2017

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

You should check the latest version - E0605 - https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/Downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JG747AAE&lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=4176535

It includes SQL Server 2016 support.

TJ Williams
Occasional Contributor

I'm keenly interested in this support. Currently using Windows Server 2016, SQL Server 2016, named instance. Testing with osql works great. IMC setup reports "connecting to database failed". Using manual named: "HPE Intelligent Management Center - SQL Server 2014 - Installation and Configuration Guide" If I could see log files with a bit of detail on the error, maybe I could fix it? I don't see any errors reported by SQL, and I'm not sure where specifically, that iMC stores its error log information during setup.
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

_Usually_ when it fails, it should give you a path to a logfile. Can't guarantee you'll find anything useful in there, depends where the failure was

TJ Williams
Occasional Contributor
Solution

FYI, I resolved my issue. It was due to my own error. I missed a detail in SQL configuration manager. I had neglected to select "enabled = yes" for the SQL server's associated IP addresses. I guess I thought Active = Enabled, even though they are 2 separate fields. After enabling the IP address, iMC picked it up and proceeded with remaining installation, no problems.