Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMC license error after restore

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

IMC license error after restore

Hi Folks,

IMC v7.0 on a Windows 2012 VM, I recently attempted an upgrade to v7.1 that went badly. We restored the entire VM from a recent backup and IMC appears to be running OK, however, I am getting "invalid license" when I attempt to log in to the IMC console. When I attempt to activate the license with the license file I have, I notice the serial numbers are very different and needless to say, I get the "invalid license" message with error code 50904.

Is there a quick fix for this, or must I spend the next few hours working with Support to get this resolved?

Thank you.

BuddyD

6 REPLIES
NeilR
Respected Contributor

Re: IMC license error after restore

Based on some other reading, maybe here, perhpas this?

- License tied to MAC address, so if your VM was restored with a different MAC that may explain it?

I've used VMware snapshots to backup and roll back successfully to the same VM. 

But not sure if I can help much beyond that. 

RichardP_LSI
Occasional Contributor

I run my IMC in a HyperV guest. I needed to move it from one host to another, and did clone the MAC address as that works for other software that ties itself to the guest/host but unfortunately IMC licence goes a bit deeper using a hash in conjunction with the MAC. I found support through really good and my issue was solved within about an hour of logging it via the portal.

RonaldoMV
Occasional Visitor

Hi RichardP_LSI!

I am having the same problem, you tell me how did you solve?

Thank you.

Sylos
Frequent Visitor

Same here: Invalid license.

devocite
Occasional Advisor

When you move to a new server the IMC serial is regenerated. Based on some inital questions, from support, I think it uses the MAC address as a hash, for the serial, but I have no proof.

See post https://community.hpe.com/t5/IMC/relocating-imc-license-to-new-server/m-p/6854371/highlight/false#M2894

As as long as you have the old serial #, you can get it done through HPE support.

Cheers!

Lynn-Marie
Neighborhood Admin

NEW feature!

Now customers can transfer their IMC licenses without calling in to support. Instructions: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=null&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00052171en_us

Let us know what you think!

Kind regards,
Lynn-Marie