5006 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

IMC notification

itgraham
Occasional Contributor

IMC notification

Good morning community,

I would like to set up an alert that notifies me via email when there is a failed log in attempt on the switch.  Does anyone have expierience with doing something like this?

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
pattap
Regular Advisor

Re: IMC notification

It would probably depend on the switch you are trying to configure it on. As long as your kit is able to generate a snmp trap for such event you should be able to set it up in IMC.

To get notifications via email you need to configure mail server and then create a rule, it can  be done in Alarm>Alarm Settings>Alarm notification

In the right top corner you can configure your mail server and in the left create your rules etc

itgraham
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I'm pretty new to this and am trying to familiarize myself with as much as possible.  I was able to get notification emails set up and am receiving alerts.  When I log in to a switch via telnet, it will bark at me when I enter the wrong password, just wondering how I can translate this to an email notification.  I'm using 2530's, a few 5406 and a 7506.  I'll check out the admin guide some more.

pattap
Regular Advisor

I'm not really familiar with the switches you have mentioned but I'm pretty sure you can debug SNMP on them, if so try enabling it and see whether your switches generate snmp trap for authentication failure, you should also see OID for the trap.

If nothing happens look for enabling snmp traps for needed events on the switches first and as you mentioned it's worth checking configuration guides for details