New Discussion

Re: IMC's not working, JSERVER stopped and don't start

SOLVED
Go to solution
lcieplak
Occasional Advisor

IMC's not working, JSERVER stopped and don't start

Hello everyone,

Today i have IMC (e605) which is installed on a VM with Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have to migrate this soft on another VM and the new one is on Windows 10

Since 2 days i'm trying to install the new version of IMC (e705) on the new VM but i have a problème to start it, the process JSERVER don't want to start so i can't use IMC on the new VM and access at the web portal.

For informations, i let IMC install the Microsoft SQL 2016 that it propose.

Have you an idea about this problem please ?

Thanks for your help !

37 REPLIES 37
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

This sounds like the known issue with jserver startup. I've posted it before here, but here is an updated text:

ISSUE: Jserver process is permanently stopped/does not start after upgrade to E0703 completes successfully.

1) Open Windows CMD as Administrator and navigate to "iMC\client\bin"

2) Run the command: cacls jmx.password /P [admin group name]:F // replace [admin group name] with the non-English equivalent of the Administrators group depending on your OS language (see also https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/language/search )

3) Restart IMC via DMA and the "jserver" process should now start up successfully

• Note: If the "cacls" command is not found, you need to make sure that "Windows\system32" is part of your command-line %PATH%, as cacls is a Windows file system permission editing command.
  • The end result should be the local Administrators group having Full Control over the jmx.password file. Do NOT add any additional permissions for more users/groups to the file, or the jserver issue will remain!
Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
lcieplak
Occasional Advisor

At first, thanks for your help.

I'll try this but what do you mean witch "admin group name" and what product did you choose for the language on the Microsoft Web Site ?

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

It depends on the language settings of your OS. For example, German-language OS uses the local Administrators group name "Administratoren" so the command would be: cacls jmx.password /P Administratoren:F

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
lcieplak
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately it was not work, the jserver doesn't start....

jguse
HPE Pro

Can you please try these steps to debug why it won't start?

1. Edit $iMC\client\bin\startup.bat file.
  2. Locate the last line, change " JAVA_HOME \bin\javaw.exe" to " JAVA_HOME \bin\java.exe", then save it.
  3. Open a windows command line 
  4. cd IMC\client\bin
  5. Save startup output to 1.txt: startup.bat >1.txt
  6. Share the output of $iMC\client\bin\1.txt after the startup fails, as well as any output from the CMD window
  7. Edit $iMC\client\bin\startup.bat file  and return to " JAVA_HOME \bin\javaw.exe".
Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
lcieplak
Occasional Advisor

I did these instructions and this is what the command return :

C:\Program Files\iMC\client\bin>startup.bat>1.txt
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option PermSize; support was removed in 8.0
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option MaxPermSize; support was removed in 8.0
Error: Password file read access must be restricted: C:\Program Files\iMC\client\bin\..\bin\jmx.password
jdk.internal.agent.AgentConfigurationError
at jdk.management.agent/sun.management.jmxremote.ConnectorBootstrap.checkPasswordFile(ConnectorBootstrap.java:590)
at jdk.management.agent/sun.management.jmxremote.ConnectorBootstrap.startRemoteConnectorServer(ConnectorBootstrap.java:436)
at jdk.management.agent/jdk.internal.agent.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:447)
at jdk.management.agent/jdk.internal.agent.Agent.startAgent(Agent.java:599)

The file 1.txt which was created in the folder bin is empty.

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

That's precisely the startup error that is mentioned above related to jmx.password. Could it be that your local Administrators group has been renamed?

It's likely this would also trigger the issue, as the command IMC runs on E0703 is the "cacls" command mentioned above, using "Administrators" as the group name.

If you are having trouble you could always check the local Users & Groups on the server, or run net localgroup | find "Adm" or similar to locate the Administrators group.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

One more important bit I'd like to mention... I've seen some folks writing that they have issues despite running "the command correctly" when in fact they were running "icacls" instead of "cacls". Ignore the obsoletion message of cacls, it is not exactly the same as icacls and Engineering have stated that "cacls" must be used here. The same command using "icacls" may not work as expected.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
lcieplak
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

I tried to start the service with the local administrator but the same happened.

For me in France, the admin group is named "Administrateurs" so i used the correct command "cacls", and not "icacls", like this :

cacls jmx.password /P Administrateurs:F  then the command asked to me if i'm sure of my choice and i did "yes".

But it does not works neether... I wanted to see how works the last installation in E603 and i saw that i don't have the "jmx.password" file. Is it a new features with the nw version ?

I don't know what i can do to make the soft functional :')