1752749 Members
4880 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IMC service monitoring: Error "Network management server is not added"!

SOLVED
Go to solution
vincentmunier
Occasional Advisor

IMC service monitoring: Error "Network management server is not added"!

I,

I have a problem with IMC when i try to add a DNS monitoring Service (menu Ressource --> Performance -->Management à Service Monitoring --> ADD).

I obtain the following error : « Failure : Failed to add a service monitor, because the network management server is not added to iMC. »

I don't understand what is the network management server? Is it an IMC addon ? (I'va only IMC Management Platform and IMC NTA). 

Version used: iMC PLAT 7.3 (E0504P04)

Some scrennshots:

Capture.PNG

Failure.png

Thanks for your help,

Vincent

7 REPLIES 7
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hopefully you've figured it out by now, but if not here's the trick: You need to add the IMC server itself as a managed node.

You'll need to use the real IP of the IMC server (not 127.0.0.1). Add that as a node, and then you'll be able to create a DNS performance monitor. 

That is what it is telling you here:

To add a service monitor, you must add the network management server to IMC first

I think this is because it associates the performance monitor with the IMC server for alarms.

I think they could re-phrase it to make it a bit clearer.

vincentmunier
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Tkank you very much for your answer. Indeed i can now create a DNS service monitor after addind the IMC server himself in the monitored devices.

Vincent

ahpawgol
Frequent Advisor

I have a few question regarding this topic.

First I'd like to ask how the IMC server should be added as a managed node for the  'Resource > Service Monitoring' to work properly?

I added IMC server using 'Resource > Add Device' just by using its IP address that is routable using the option: "Add the device regardless of the ping result". There is no SNMP nor telnet nor SSH authentication configured for this IMC server, so it is not recognized and was added as a Model: "Unknown Product", Device category: "Desktops" and permanently has status Unknown.

After this operation I'm able to setup 'Resource > Service Monitoring' without any errors or prompts mentioned in this topic.

My IMC server has 3 interfaces with of course 3 different subnets, among which only one has a gateway and default route.

I'd like to monitor eg. exernal DNS servers like cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and some websites but after I configured it I experience following problems:

1. for cloudflare dns Server Address:1.1.1.1 Response Time of DNS Service I get no data and cloudflare dns Server Address:1.1.1.1 DNS Service Unreachability Proportion is permanently 100%

2. also for some other Internet Service Unreachability Proportion I get 100% and Response Time of Internet Service no data

although I got ICMP replies for those services when I perform ping tests from servers CLI and also for other publicly available services like radius server I get RADIUS Service Unreachability Proportion 0% and Response Time of RADIUS Service some different values.

Also some of monitored Internet Services doesn't respond to ICMP requests although web services are running properly.

Is Internet Services monitoring based on http requests or just relies on ICMP test or both?

UPDATE1:

After I installed 'yum install bind-utils' DNS service is discovered but I still have an issue that DHCP server isn't detected by IMC Service Monitoring.

What system tools are used by IMC for Service Monitoring?

UPDATE2:

I did run tcpdump on IMC server and noticed that for:

Internet Services monitoring there are some tests that periodically communicate with websites at 443 port but alhough the communication is bidirectional not all websites are recognized by IMC server as running and no data are collected for those websites.

For DHCP service monitoring there are no packets that are send to DHCP server through interface that is connected to the network with DHCP server. So monitoring DHCP server doesn't work at all.

ahpawgol
Frequent Advisor

Maybe an expert during current June 16-17: Online Expert Day can help me with above mentioned?

An example of website that does not work with this service monitoring feature is www.airhelp.com

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

I've checked the site you mentioned, and notice that it redirects to www.airhelp.com/en/ automatically - perhaps this is why? Try entering the full URL of the site including the /en/, as service monitoring is using HTTP/HTTPS GET and measuring the time it takes to actually get the page, and an address that is simply a redirect likely won't work.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
ahpawgol
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for quick reply. I just configured it as you suggested and will see results in few minutes.
But what about DHCP server service monitoring? Do you have any clues why it doesn't work?

ahpawgol
Frequent Advisor

Waiting for an answer for possible issues why DHCP server isn't monitored correctly, I checked if service monitoring is working properly for the website as above and I turns out that there must be some issues with this monitoring feature as our other monitoring services shows uniterrupted availability of the service while IMC shows some unavailability of the service:

ahwebsie.png