1752557 Members
4038 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

IMC showing ICMP discription on some network switches with routing truned on.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dwaineh
Occasional Visitor

IMC showing ICMP discription on some network switches with routing truned on.

We have 4 campus locations spread out across the state.  I am running the latest version of IMC and I can connect to all of our network switches at all 4 locations outside of our main campus, but the main switch at each of these locations, that is setup for routing, show up as an ICMP device. The other switches at these locations show up correctly.  The SNMP settings are set the same on each switch. IMC can connect with the correct information to the main layer 3 switch here on our local network. It appears SNMP on the 4 switches/routers can't communicate with the IMC server.  The IMC server can ping all 4 layer 3 switches. Any thoughts on what might be a fix for this issue?

4 REPLIES 4
jguse
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: IMC showing ICMP discription on some network switches with routing truned on.

Hello,

It sounds like this could be an issue with SNMP responding to iMC from a different IP than the management IP of the device in iMC, or an SNMP misconfiguration. What vendor and model of switch and version of SNMP are you using that isn't working?

The issue above happens when you attempt to add a device to iMC with the IP of one of its interfaces, but it actually responds to iMC from a different source IP address due to this being a better route in the routing table. For example you try to add the device with IP 10.10.10.10, but the response from the device comes from its other interface with source IP 192.168.1.100, so iMC does not recognize the return traffic as coming from the same device it was polling.

You could fix that with a command like  'snmp response-source dst-ip-of-request' on AOS devices, which would tell them to respond from the same IP with which the requests came in.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dwaineh
Occasional Visitor

Re: IMC showing ICMP discription on some network switches with routing truned on.

The devies are 2 Aruba 5406R's and 2 Aruba 2930's.  SNMP version is V2.  I do not see the command to set a return IP address.

jguse
HPE Pro

Hello,

I had shortened the command a bit, the full one (in global config) is:

snmp-server response-source dst-ip-of-request

If you don't have the 'dst-ip-of-request' option, you could also replace that with the IP address from which you want the device to respond to SNMP requests. However the command should definitely exist on the devices you mention.

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
Dwaineh
Occasional Visitor

I found the commad and input the response source and it works now.  Thank you.