108760 Solutions
New Discussion

IP/MAC Learning Query not working on some HP models

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tech394
Occasional Advisor

IP/MAC Learning Query not working on some HP models

I'm currently migrating IMC from a physical server over to a VM. I've got the new server successfully licensed and I've been able to both auto discover and manually add devices. Both the old server and new server are running IMC 7.2 Standard.  The old server is running Windows Server 2008 while the new is on Windows Server 2012 R2. The new server is running mySQL instead of Microsoft SQL. 

I'm running into an issue with real-time location not working for most of my HP switches and when I go to those switches IP/MAC Learning Query shows nothing. This functionality is working with the affect switches on the current production IMC server. Additionally, on the new server, IP/MAC Learning Query appears to be working on Comware based devices as I'm able to see this information on the EI5500 switches. Two switch models I'm having issues with are HP 2920 and HP 2610.

I've attempted to delete and re-add the affected switches, synchronizations, and have verified SSH and SNMP are connecting fine. I've rebooted the server, disabled the software firewall, and compared configuration settings between the 2 servers and nothing seems to stand out. It seems that IMC cannot pull the MAC Address Tables for these devices. Yet it's working fine on the previous server. Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Tech394
Occasional Advisor

Re: IP/MAC Learning Query not working on some HP models

I've also followed the suggestions in the following thread and it appears SNMP is working fine. 
http://community.hpe.com/t5/IMC/IP-MAC-Learning-and-Device-Panel-on-5400-series/td-p/6028081

When I try to get the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22 as is suggested in that thread I get the following output:

***** SNMP GET REQUEST STARTED *****
1) 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.22 (ipNetToMediaTable) Unknown Error
***** SNMP GET REQUEST FINISHED *****

However, I get this on both the old server (where IP/MAC Learning Query is working) and the new server. I'm also able to get the next OID.

I may need to open a ticket with HP as I'm shooting in the dark at this point. I'll update with a solution once I have one.

Tech394
Occasional Advisor

Weeks went by waiting for support to set up another call only to have them close out the case without resolution. I've requested the case be reopened. Has anyone else run into this problem?

DSV12
Frequent Advisor

@Tech394 wrote:

I'm currently migrating IMC from a physical server over to a VM. I've got the new server successfully licensed

Could you tell me the details of the migration, with the licenses preservation?

TIA,

Sergei

Tech394
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I worked with HP support to create the new license and transfer it to my HP account.

In the end I resolved the IP/MAC Learning problem by disabling CDP on all of my HP switches. Previously I had been disabling CDP on interfaces and needed to use the global command 'no cdp run' instead of 'no cdp enable #'.