5324 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Install IMC 7 Std. with existing SQLEXPR DB

SandroBachmann
Occasional Collector

Install IMC 7 Std. with existing SQLEXPR DB

Hi all

I try to install IMC 7.0 Std. on an existing physical Server. 

This Server contains a vCenter, Backup, Veeam role with different "preInstalled" SQLEXPR Services. 

Now when I try to install IMC, I have to set the Installation Parameters like Database Types and so on.. (I use local DB)

But I cant get this Installation work, I only become a Error "Connecting to the Database failed"  

How can I install this correctly? 

Thanks & Kind Regards

sandro

6 REPLIES 6
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: Install IMC 7 Std. with existing SQLEXPR DB

Ask yourself very seriously if you really want to do this. It's going to have problems, and is going to cause you pain for not much benefit.

Is this just for a trial, or a production system? How big is your network?

SandroBachmann
Occasional Collector

Hy Lindsay

Thanks for your reply. 

I know this is very unusual, but a customer asks if this is possible. 

Its a productive system with about 60 switches. 

jguse
HPE Pro

Hi Sandro,

Even if it's possible, it's not supported and not a good idea. Your IMC Server, VM or not, must be dedicated for IMC. If you already have a vCenter anyway, why not just run it on a dedicated VM?

Best regards,
Justin

Working @ HPE
Accept or Kudo
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@SandroBachmann wrote:

In which case I strongly recommend not using the embedded SQL Server, but use a full install, or use MySQL.

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

@LindsayHill wrote:

@SandroBachmann wrote:

In which case I strongly recommend not using the embedded SQL Server, but use a full install, or use MySQL.

Well, I have >300 switches and running IMC 7.1 with embedded SQL Server. I have not the original registration key for that installation as the servive provider who setup the system can´t find it and nobody knows which email had been used years ago, so I´m forced to use this installation, as I cannot setup IMC on anoher OS. For me it would be great to change the existing embedded Microsoft SQL server to an external SQL server,,, Any ideas?

Back to topic. Yes that 10GB limit on the embedded SQL server is annoying, but the setup actually has been working for years so long and it has to work till Windows server 2008´s EOS...

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can get away with using SQL EXPR if you keep your nodes & performance polling low, but sooner or later it becomes a pain, and you need to migrate away from it.

In your case, you might be able to hack around with it, and move the DB. It's a bit of a hassle though. 

If you were to move IMC to a new server, you would need a new license key anyway.

Talk to your local HP SE. They might be able to help out with getting you a new key issued for when you move to a new server.