3803 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MIB imported trap severity

KrisseZ
Occasional Advisor

MIB imported trap severity

Hello.

I seem to have a problem with MIB imported trap definitions. I'm unable to change the severity of imported traps. They are all "info" by default and so I'm unable to escalate them into alarms. We are running iMC PLAT 7.2 (E0403).

Has anyone else ran into this?

10 REPLIES 10
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I've just checked some here, and I can modify those. I think that it can be possible to have non-modifiable traps if the trap parameters define the severity.

If you go to Trap Management -> Trap Definition, and select a couple of traps, then click "Modify Severity", what happens?

KrisseZ
Occasional Advisor

On the MIBs that I have imported the selection box is also greyd out and they can't be accessed via the "Modify Severity".

When I look at a single trap definition and the "Trap Level" box is greyed out and locked to "Info", there is the question mark besides it and it states: "When alarm levels are determined by alarm parameters, the manually configured trap levels do not take effect".

I have yet to learn from any source by what alarm parameters is the trap severity level determined. The IMC administration manual doesn't mention this particular remark.

The trap parameters known to IMC certainly doesn't determine the severity as far as I know how to interpet them, for example:

wlsxTrapTime 1.3.6.1.4.1.14823.2.3.3.1.200.1.60.0 OctetString No No
wlsxTrapAPMacAddress 1.3.6.1.4.1.14823.2.3.3.1.200.1.1.0 MacAddress No Yes

None of those two are by any means defining the severity and changing the key paramater or interface index makes any difference. Is it possible that the severity is defined in the MIB entry itself? I'm highly doubtful...

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Can you post a copy of the MIB file you imported them from?

KrisseZ
Occasional Advisor

Here is the first batch I encountered problems with. The second one is HP MSM mibs and they are openly available, I think?

I want to thank you in advance for looking into this.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Initial tests show that I see the same thing as you. I'll have a little more of a poke around.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

After doing a bit more testing, it looks like you can't change the severity of any INFO-level trap, either user- or system-defined. I don't understand why. I don't recall seeing anything in the docs about this.

It looks like you can modify the severity of the trap in the DB directory (table monitor_db.tbl_trap_conf). That may not be the best idea though.

I think it might be worth logging a ticket with support about this one.

KrisseZ
Occasional Advisor

We don't have an active support contract for HP IMC. If I'm able to post a ticket or bug report of some kind without a support contract, I will, but as it is it may be impossible.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@KrisseZ wrote:

If I'm able to post a ticket or bug report of some kind without a support contract, I will, but as it is it may be impossible.

Such is the nature of enterprise support. You need a contract to file a bug report. (No, I don't like that either)

rafter_1
Advisor

Hi KrissieZ, yes I've just come across this problem too.  Did you manage to get a resolution?  everything for userdefined is greyed out and I can't change the severity of MIB added traps.. grrr...