5984 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitor windows services

Lars86
Occasional Advisor

Monitor windows services

Hi,

I am trying out HP IMC Tooling and it is working perfect the only thing i cant find is the monitoring of the services from a windows server. I want to get an alert when a windows service is changing from started to stopped. Is this possible in HP IMC Basic or do i need a plugin or another module to do this?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

To monitor windows server you need to install and configre the snmp services on the server.

I don't know if service start/stop is supported but would most likely be sent as an snmp trap. You do get utilziation type stats via GET - cpu, interface etc.

However snmp is deprecated starting with win server 2012. You can install it and use it, but MS direction is pointing elsewhere:

"Use the Common Information Model (CIM), which is supported by the WS-Management web services protocol and implemented as Windows Remote Management."

IMC does not have a WMI interface for servers, except for managing HyperV hosts as part of the virtual resource management module.

Lars86
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply im going to look at CIM only for now i want to try to fix this with SNMP

SNMP is installed and configured on the server and in IMC.

How ever i can't find a setting to monitor the started and stopped services from windows. 

Cpu diskspace etc is possible but cant find the services to monitor.

RPapaux
Valued Contributor

You can have a look at the "Application Performance Monitor" (APM) module, which can monitor OS's and Middleware's.

But it requires IMC Standard or Enterprise, and it is a fee base additional module.

BR

Ray

Lars86
Occasional Advisor

Thanks i can see in the documentation that APM can do this...
Only i don't need al the functionality only want to monitor the windows server services and hope it is possible without extra licensing costs.

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Well you could look for something like this that runs on windows and sends traps:

http://www.tarosoft.com/faqs/How%20to%20Monitor%20a%20Service%20with%20SNMP.htm

Its not free but might be cheaper than APM

Lars86
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply's just installed a trial of HP IMC APM and now i can see the services.
Only if i stop a service like the print spooler there is no alarm or mail alert.
Also i cannot find a manual or setting for this type of alerts.
I only see the service is stopped if i go to the application monitor from that server.