4892 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Monitoring HP power supplies in IMC

SOufiane
Occasional Contributor

Monitoring HP power supplies in IMC

Hi everyone,

How can I monitor the state of power supplies in HP 5500 switches in IMC? I understand that I need to setup a custom trap but i'm a bit lost there. A guide would be highly appreciated.

Regards.

5 REPLIES 5
azuercher
Occasional Contributor

Re: Monitoring HP power supplies in IMC

I would like to know the same thing.  I am a attemping to setup a syslog alarm but will post a seperate thread so not to threadjack this.

SOufiane
Occasional Contributor

Hi azuercher,

As a workaround, I've created a custom Global Index with the following parameters:

Name: HP Power Supplies State
Type: [index1[0]:hpicfPsEntry:1:0]
Instance Label: 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.55.1.1.1
Formula: 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.55.1.1.1.2

If the output is 3, it means that the power supply unit is functional. Here are all possible values:

psNotPresent(1)
psNotPlugged(2)
psPowered(3)
psFailed(4)
psPermFailure(5)
psMax(6)

Hope it helps.

Keep me posted if you find anything better than that. Regards. 

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

What are you trying to monitor?

I have alarms setup in IMC that monitor power and presences of the power supplies across all of my HP switches. These are standard alarms within IMC, you may just need to turn them on.

Pack3tL0ss
Valued Contributor

This should trigger a trap, which should automatically result in an alarm... all by default.  Just as long as you have the 5500 configured to send traps to IMC.  Obviously this assumes the 5500 has dual power-supplies (otherwise it's a moot point, the switch is down and should be critical in IMC).

I don't have a 5500 handy, but if you have one you can test on, fail a PS and look under alarm-->Trap Mgmt-->Browse Traps ... you can filter by IP of the 5500 under test.   When you fail the supply you should get a trap from the 5500.  From there you can click on that trap and change the severity (maybe it's defined as a Major alarm, and you want it critical).  You could also configure a notification rule to send an email to you anytime that trap comes in.

But There *should* be a trap for a power-supply down event, and that should be in IMC associated with a trap-to-alarm rule.  Again I don't have a 5500 handy to test with, but I believe that to be the case.  At the very least there would be a syslog from the 5500, and a syslog to alarm rule could be configured.

PL

JasonL1
Frequent Advisor

From personal experiance, 5500's by default when in IMC will shoot traps for power supply failures (removed or power loss). From that trap, IMC will convert the trap to an alarm and from that, an alert if alerting is setup. 

I use these as a good way to judge power issues at my remote sites along side of the alerts sent directly from the UPS units at each cabinet.