5306 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring STP topology changes in IMC

pattap
Regular Advisor

Monitoring STP topology changes in IMC

Hi All 

Sorry if I'm posting this in wrong place, just trying to find my bearings-first timer 

Anyway, just wondered if anyone could shed some more light on monitoring stp topology chagnes in IMC (ver 7.0).

As far as I manged I have the needed OID - 1. 3. 6. 1. 2. 1. 17. 2. 4

Now is it possible to setup IMC in a way that it would generate an alert after x topology changes on certain devices? 

Most of the switches on the network run comware 5.x

Any input higlhy appriciated 

8 REPLIES 8
johnk3r
Respected Contributor

By default IMC should display this information ! You should just set up alerts ...
ATP FLEXNETWORK V3 | ACSA
pattap
Regular Advisor

would anyone be able to take me through steps needed or point to a good document

pattap
Regular Advisor

I fiugred so far that you need to go to Alarm > trap management > trap definition > add

Now once I'm at "add screen" I'm not sure about a few things, link to the screenshot below

http://s12.postimg.org/wprwuc025/Capture.png

what do I put in the Enterprise Name field and what about parameters for this specific OID? Do I need to set any at all?

I should also have mentioned that the switches I'm trying to poll are comware based, would the OID I'm trying to use be suitable?

hpicfBridgeLoopProtectPortLoopDetectedhpicfBridgeLoopProtectPortLoopDetected 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.12.1.5.2.1.1.2

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@pattap wrote:

hpicfBridgeLoopProtectPortLoopDetectedhpicfBridgeLoopProtectPortLoopDetected 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.12.1.5.2.1.1.2

Monitoring if LoopProtect has triggered is quite different to monitoring STP TCN rate.

Let's go back to the start. What's the goal here? Do you specifically want to know if you have a high rate of STP TCNs? Or do you specifically want to monitor link flaps?

Are you expecting this to be on edge ports, or on inter-switch ports? If it's edge ports, you should be configuring them as STP edge ports, so they don't generate TCNs in the first place.

pattap
Regular Advisor

so the final goal here is that IMC generates an alert if there is a loop on the network or if an edge port  has been blocked due to end user patching both ends of the same cable into a switch.

edited:

And Lindsay I've just found your write up on loop protection without STP, it seems that loop protect would be a good solution as thsoe loops are mainly created by the above mentioned users. 

There is a "but" though. I'm just trying this on HP  A3600, Comware Software, Version 5.20.99,

It seems that loop protection needs STP to be enabeld, see below 

[HP-if-range]stp loop-protection ?
<cr>

and loopback-detection will not detect a cable run from one port to another on the same switch as you have also mentioned, so after all I will be forced to use STP?

http://lkhill.com/loop-detection-without-stp/

pattap
Regular Advisor

After trying different options of loopback-detection I got it working:

#Jan 1 00:48:40:435 2010 HP LPDETECT/5/LOOPBACKED:
Trap 1.3.6.1.4.1.25506.2.95.1.0.1: Loopback exists on the interface 9371670 Ethernet1/0/23.
#Jan 1 00:48:40:615 2010 HP LPDETECT/5/LOOPBACKED:
Trap 1.3.6.1.4.1.25506.2.95.1.0.1: Loopback exists on the interface 9371671 Ethernet1/0/24.
%Jan 1 00:48:40:806 2010 HP IFNET/3/LINK_UPDOWN: Ethernet1/0/23 link status is DOWN.
%Jan 1 00:48:40:906 2010 HP LPDETECT/5/LPDETECT_SHUTDOWN: Loopback exists on Ethernet1/0/23 and this interface is shut down.
%Jan 1 00:48:41:057 2010 HP IFNET/3/LINK_UPDOWN: Ethernet1/0/24 link status is DOWN.
%Jan 1 00:48:41:157 2010 HP LPDETECT/5/LPDETECT_SHUTDOWN: Loopback exists on Ethernet1/0/24 and this interface is shut down.
%Jan 1 00:48:41:310 2010 HP IFNET/3/LINK_UPDOWN: Vlan-interface1 link status is DOWN.
%Jan 1 00:48:41:420 2010 HP IFNET/5/LINEPROTO_UPDOWN: Line protocol on the interface Vlan-interface1 is DOWN.

Global

loopback-detection enable
loopback-detection multi-port-mode enable
loopback-detection interval-time 5

per interaface

port link-mode bridge
loopback-detection enable
loopback-detection action shutdown

Now I just need to implement alerts in IMC, any help would be appreciated

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@pattap wrote:

Now I just need to implement alerts in IMC, any help would be appreciated

If you only care about ports going into blocking mode (either through STP or loop-detect), then TCNs don't matter.

Get your devices to send traps + syslogs to IMC. IMC will almost certainly have rules in place for Trap -> Alarm and Syslog -> Alarm, to convert those into alarms.

You may need to raise the priority of those alerts. Ports going into STP blocking mode are not a major alarm as such - it's just STP doing exactly what it should, and you may well have some ports that are normally in blocking mode, due to network design.

AG147

Hi Pattap, How did you exactly configure? Can you please tell me the steps? Thank you