5140 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

New 7.3 P2 user - a few questions relating to setup

SKBC
Occasional Contributor

New 7.3 P2 user - a few questions relating to setup

Good evening all.

I am an infrastructure engineer working with HP IMC for the first time, I have to admit i do like this application very much compared to the old application (was awful)

I am having a few issues\questions though, i wonder if anyone would be able to give me guidance \ advice.

1) I have a colour blind member of IT staff in my team who cannot see a diference between red and green, are we able to change the colours of the status indicators

2) Device view - The device view lists devices as switches, however when you go into the actual switch, it shows it as a switch (stack), is there a way to make the device view show (stack) on the list?

3) Reports - The reports view seems to be very blocky, and does not seem to be able to show me all of the fields i see within the device view, i would like to create an email report, does anyone have any guidance notes.

4) MIBS - is it really as simple as selecting them, compiling them, enabling them in MIB management, do i have to anything else, to link the MIB to the device?

5) Adaptor files\third party devices - BIG ISSUE - We use a handfull of Dell N2000 and N3000 series switches.

a) I cannot see topology

b) I cannot backup the device

c) i cannot read the device config

d) i cannot read the device firmware version

e) i cannot see mib related data such as CPU load etc...

I am sure the adaptor file is the issue, however i know the device works using the same comandset as CISCO devices which work fine within HP IMC, i just do not seem to be able to get IMC to use the correct commands, despite using the intentional adaptor files. I get errors  such as Unable to execute script, or missing enable password. The HP guide manual does not really help me too much on diagnosing the issues.

Is there a way to show putty (or equiv) parsing the .tcl files to see where in the script the error is occuring. I cannot find a working (Windows) version of a TCL parser with a gui view

Sorry my first post is so long, would be over the moon if anyone could give me some pointers here :)

many thanks

BC

1 REPLY 1
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: New 7.3 P2 user - a few questions relating to setup

@SKBC wrote:

1) I have a colour blind member of IT staff in my team who cannot see a diference between red and green, are we able to change the colours of the status indicators

I'm not aware of any way to do this. Might be some way to fake it, even if it means changing underlying icon files. Will take some hunting down.

2) Device view - The device view lists devices as switches, however when you go into the actual switch, it shows it as a switch (stack), is there a way to make the device view show (stack) on the list?

Don't think so.

3) Reports - The reports view seems to be very blocky, and does not seem to be able to show me all of the fields i see within the device view, i would like to create an email report, does anyone have any guidance notes.

There is a custom report creation module add-on you can get. Might help.

4) MIBS - is it really as simple as selecting them, compiling them, enabling them in MIB management, do i have to anything else, to link the MIB to the device?

Same as with all NMS platforms: MIBs on their own don't really do anything. They just tell the NMS a bit about the data structures, and provide a mapping between numerical OIDs and human-readable names for things. They don't tell the NMS *what* to monitor, they just give it suggestions for *how* to monitor things. But if you have specific OIDs you want to monitor, you will need to go and configure that monitoring.

5) Adaptor files\third party devices - BIG ISSUE - We use a handfull of Dell N2000 and N3000 series switches.

a) I cannot see topology

b) I cannot backup the device

c) i cannot read the device config

d) i cannot read the device firmware version

e) i cannot see mib related data such as CPU load etc...

If you can't even see the firmware version or CPU, then it sounds like you don't have SNMP working. You have to get that working first. Check that SNMP is working on the switches, test it with an SNMP utility, and check your SNMP settings in IMC.

Then move on to the backup adapters.

I am sure the adaptor file is the issue, however i know the device works using the same comandset as CISCO devices which work fine within HP IMC, i just do not seem to be able to get IMC to use the correct commands, despite using the intentional adaptor files. I get errors  such as Unable to execute script, or missing enable password. The HP guide manual does not really help me too much on diagnosing the issues.

Is there a way to show putty (or equiv) parsing the .tcl files to see where in the script the error is occuring. I cannot find a working (Windows) version of a TCL parser with a gui view

There's some info here on troubleshooting backup problems: https://lkhill.com/hp-imc-troubleshooting-device-backup-problems/

It's not too hard once you know the general flow that IMC is following, and you know which logfiles to look at.

If you're working with new adapters, I *strongly* recommend using SCP/SFTP for your device backups. More secure, and much simpler adapter files. 

Sorry my first post is so long, would be over the moon if anyone could give me some pointers here :)

many thanks

BC