5488 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Not able to add custom icon of device in cabinet

Abby_Lockhart
Occasional Visitor

Not able to add custom icon of device in cabinet

Hello Everybody,

I've been working with latest IMC and I think this is really great tool. I am building our datacenter topology and I need to add some custom device icons. The problem is - I can't. I am following this tutorial video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJ-QBsjTL4 - but my Add and OK buttons seem to be broken.

I have prepared a custom PNG image, 450x172 4U of HP Proliant G7 and when I am trying to add and click OK - nothing happens except for the fact, that new custom_abc...png file is added to Program Files\iMC\client\web\apps\imc\topo\racktopo Uploaded image is available via web browser and http protocol.

I tried different (3) web browsers (FF, IE, Chrome). Should I consider Java update? This is server system with some java based apps so I should do it only in the last resort. Should those images be of proper dimmensions or extension?

Maybe, there is a config file (xml), where I can define my icon manually?

Regards,

2 REPLIES 2
NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Not able to add custom icon of device in cabinet

the custom icon can only be added as a jpg file. You added a png file. The help item will tell you this.

Of course, it gets stored as custom_xxxxx.png in the folder Program Files\iMC\client\web\apps\imc\topo\racktopo, so this may be why you used png.

And while testing this I discovered that my previously added custom icons have disappeared, due to upgrades writing over the directory. However they are still in the DB with the generated names pointing to files now gone -doh, thx HP.

Make copies of anything custom you do, just in case, so you can add it back in.

Abby_Lockhart
Occasional Visitor

Re: Not able to add custom icon of device in cabinet

Hello again,

- thank You for Your reply

I believe I have found a solution or a workaround. I think the case is size of the file. It does not matter whether file is of jpg or png extension. In my case PNG works fine. The worse quality the better because size of the file is smaller. I saved my files in Photoshop using web optimization (PNG-8) and files were often below 50KB. Now they all work fine.

Regards,