108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Old alarms are automatically deleted

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brian_McMillan
Occasional Visitor

Old alarms are automatically deleted

I have found that alarms are being delete from the system after about 24 hours if they have been recovered. I've no idea why this suddenly started happening about a week ago, I guess there must be a setting somewhere, but I can't see anything that is remotely relevant.

The big hassle is that I was in the midst of trying to identify which of the crappy netgear switches failed the most and then prioritising them for replacement with HP switches. Now I'm reduced to doing it at random.

Has anyone else come across this?

many thanks,

brian.

4 REPLIES 4
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Have you had any alarm storms recently?

What settings do you have in System -> System Configuration -> Data Export -> Alarm Export ?

Brian_McMillan
Occasional Visitor

Gotcha! We've been swapping out the Netgears for some Procurves and they are alarming continuously about interfaces being down. Since then we've been creating an alarm export file every night. 

Can I use a filter on the iMC to fix this or should I do something on the switches?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

It depends whether you care about those alarms or not. If it's noisy interface flapping alarms, then I would be configuring IMC to filter alarms for those interfaces. 

Brian_McMillan
Occasional Visitor
Solution

I disabled all the ports I'm not too bothered about.

On the 5130 switches I did this:

interface range GigabitEthernet1/0/1 to GigabitEthernet 1/0/24

undo enable snmp trap updown

on the procurves I did this:

no snmp-server enable traps link-change 1-48

Many thanks for the pointer. (Still waiting for HP level 2 to respond to the case that I opened yesterday)