cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Supply Trap

qos
Advisor

Power Supply Trap

I have put the hpicfDcPower.mib (POWERSUPPLY-MIB) in \iMC\client\TrapMIB in order to import the trap definition to generate an alarm when the power supply fails but I can't get the Trap OID for this. How do I get this working?

4 REPLIES
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Re: Power Supply Trap

After you put the file in <IMC>\client\trapMIB, did you Compile/Import the MIB file?

Go to Alarm -> Trap Management -> Trap Definition -> Import trap definition from MIB file.

Does your new MIB file show up there? 

qos
Advisor

SNMPv2-MIB

IF-MIB

ENTITY-MIB

It just contains the above

qos
Advisor

If you look in Trap Definition for Trap OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.12.1.6.3 you will find the hpicfSensorTrap that has two parameters hpicfSensorStatus and hpicfSensor Description. This is installed by default in IMC 5.2.

However, to get this to work you have to manually add a Trap to Alarm adding the trap name under Trap Type.

When I do walk mib on a device with a faulty power supply it shows that power supply 1 status is bad(2), but an alarm is not generated in IMC.

Is there something else you have to do?

I have set the trap source to match selected device IP, trap type hpicfSensorTrap and parameter sensor status to bad(2) but IMC is not generating the alarm.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Adding Trap definitions + Trap to Alarm rules is important, but it won't help if you've already got a faulty power supply. 

Devices only send traps when the state changes. So if the power supply failed, it would send a trap at that time. But if IMC wasn't configured to handle that trap, it gets lost.

You need to poll for that specific OID. You'll need to add custom monitoring for that OID, and set thresholds to trigger when it changes.