1753797 Members
7238 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Preventing deleted devices from being added again by autodiscover?

Ratatosk
Advisor

Preventing deleted devices from being added again by autodiscover?

Is there a way to make IMC not re-add deleted devices except adding filters to autodiscovery jobb?

5 REPLIES 5
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

Options are either to change your autodiscovery settings, or change ACLs/community strings on the devices so that they don't allow SNMP from IMC.

Ratatosk
Advisor

Ok, too bad but then I know what options there are. Do you have any idea if this functionality will be implemented in the future? From what I hear, this was a feature of PCM.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I don't know what they're planning. You would need to talk to HPE.

You need to think about how to define what you want, and figure out why that would make sense for them to implement.

It's not obvious to me why you have configured auto-discovery to include devices you don't want to discover, nor is it clear how you would define those devices you don't want to discover.

You don't have to use regular auto-discovery at all. You can just do discovery on an ad-hoc basis. Auto-discovery is most useful on very large networks that have a high rate of churn. If you do have a high rate of new devices coming on the network, but are re-discovering existing devices you don't want, then update your discovery policies. 

Ratatosk
Advisor

Right, the story is that my customer (I'm a consultant) want to run reqular auto-discoveries to detect any unauthorzed or new authorized (but not added to IMC) devices being added to their network. The orgainization is not very big but they use redicously large subenets for clients and a "flat" topo, only one VLAN,.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

So, all that said unauthorized devices need to do is not use the SNMP strings that autodiscovery is using, and/or ACLs? 

If that's what the customer is really concerned about, relying on whether IMC auto-discovery picks them up or not is...less than an optimal.